Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Ferber method - help before I start this tonight

I just got the book today and I'm not done reading it.  But, I want to start this tonight so I have a quick question.  Say I put N down and he wakes up crying.  I wait 3 minutes then I go in and only stay for 1-2 minutes.  I leave but he continues to cry, I'm suppose to wait 5 minutes before I got in again.  What do I do, if during that 5 minute period I see on the monitor that N is sitting up or standing?  Do I wait until the 5 minute is up to go in and put him down or do i go in immediately and put him back down in a lying position?

Also, if you used this method and your child is now STTN, how many nights did it take you?  I'm desperate!!
imageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Ferber method - help before I start this tonight

• Options
    I think you wait the intervals whether he's standing or not.  Good luck!  It'll be tough, but worth it.  :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

It took us a few weeks to get to STTN and it was tough.  But SOOOO worth it.  There will be times when you feel horrible and want to give up.  But stick with it and you will probably be very happy.

Sleep training saved my mental health.  Seriously. 

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

First off, put him down awake. Then when he cries, wait the 3 minutes, go in and do whatever it is you're gonna do, talk to him, pat his back, whatever. Then leave. Like, quick. Then wait again.

As far as standing or sitting, I did always lay her back down, but not until the check in interval. Do not go in before that. Really you shouldn't lay them back down, they need to do that themselves, but I did it anyways. 

We did it at 11 months with my VERY stubborn child. She was up 3-7 times a night and would only go back down when nursed. Here is how it went.

Night one- 45 minutes when she went to bed. Up one time at 1 am, nursed her, down awake. Then up in the am, normal time. Actually later than usual

Night two- 15 minutes when she went to bed. STTN

Night three- 4 minutes, then STTN. 

STTN ever since. Have had to re-Ferber once after she had strep. But still STTN, it was only for the beginning of the night. 

Good luck!!!!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Don't go in even if he's standing/sitting up/whatever. I found it really difficult to watch the monitor those first couple of days. I have a heartbreaking picture on my cell phone of the first night - she fell asleep sitting up, with her face in the bars :(

It was the best thing we could have done.  Three nights in things were DRAMATICALLY better. Hang in there, stay strong!

Rainbow baby due in September!
    .image
    May Siggy Challenge - Favorite Onscreen Mom
    image  image
  • Options

imagedjandkellen:
    I think you wait the intervals whether he's standing or not.  Good luck!  It'll be tough, but worth it.  :)

Definitely don't go in for sitting or standing.  That's normal at this age.  GL!  It will be worth it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"