Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Have you donated a car to charity?

We bought a replacement for my old clunker and I don't want to mess with trying to sell it. Has anyone donated a car?
imageimageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: Have you donated a car to charity?

• Options

my sister donated her car to a charity.  can't remember which one.  but they came and towed it away and gave her the paperwork for her taxes.  easy peasy.

ETA: her car was in good working condition.  they towed it just because that's how they came to get the car.

• Options
    Yeah same here, my sister donated her car cause the engine blew. I dont know how much she got back for it though.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I donated a car a couple years ago.  Here in Chicago I've seen them advertise for Cars for Kids.  I also looked into a domestic violence shelter, but they wouldn't tow it (it needed to be in a certain condition...running lol).  My engine had died.  I ended up donating it to a local church.  I signed over the title and left it at the mechanics.  They took care of picking it up and having the car towed.  Then within a couple weeks I received my tax paperwork. 

ETA: the amt. you'll get for taxes depends on the condition of the car.  I think the minimum you can claim is $500, and that's what I got.

• Options
    ss+elss+el member
    We donated DH's POS a few years ago to some sort of vocational program that trains mechanics. We got an automatic $500 tax deduction for it. If they had been able to fix & sell it for more than $500, we would have been sent a new tax receipt for the selling price.
  • Options

This one is still running, but the front end needs work. It's very rattly.

Can you claim charitable deductions if you don't itemize?

• Options
    imagejenifairies:

Yes, but only up to a certain amt.  I donate a lot of clothes, books, etc. that I don't always have the Salvation Army receipt for, so I wouldn't want to do it without the tax form, but if the car is all you have, then just claim the max you can (which is the $500). 

If it's still running you really may want the true amt. because you could possibly get more than $500 for it...you never know!  They may sell for parts, etc.. 

• Options

I donated my old car to charity. Kars 4 Kids. When I called them we pick a time, parked the car at a selected location, left it unlocked with the pink slip in the visor, and they came and towed it away.

Then I contacted the DMV to let them know it was sold/donated, and had to fax in a change of owner slip. A few months later the charity mailed us a receipt for the amount it sold for, and we were able to get the donation written off on our taxes.

Car was running fine.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageShell24:
    imagejenifairies:

Yes, but only up to a certain amt.  I donate a lot of clothes, books, etc. that I don't always have the Salvation Army receipt for, so I wouldn't want to do it without the tax form, but if the car is all you have, then just claim the max you can (which is the $500). 

If it's still running you really may want the true amt. because you could possibly get more than $500 for it...you never know!  They may sell for parts, etc.. 

I give clothes and household stuff to SA all the time, too, but I never thought to get the tax thingies.

• Options
    DH did (pre-marriage) - I don't know much about it but it was a non-working vehicle and a REALLY good way to get rid of it Wink
    Caleb.02.01.08 | Asher.07.06.09 | Jude.01.19.12
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Mama Jan's Kitchen... a food blog
    Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"