Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

XP: Help! DD has fever and croup-like cough.

After spending a good chunk of yesterday basking in the afterglow of a 2 year old appointment result of "happy, healthy, thriving toddler," DD woke up this morning with a fever and croup-like cough.

She's in the bathroom with DH taking in some shower steam and we've given her some tylenol to get her fever down.  I'm going to call the nurseline when it opens at 8.30a. 

Any tips, tricks, or advice from parents who've dealt with this?  TIA!

Re: XP: Help! DD has fever and croup-like cough.

• Options
    How high is her fever?
    Rylee - 3.28.08
    Malakai - 8.3.09
    Ezra - 12.1.11 ASD
  • Options
    Oh no! I hope she feels better soon. DD never had a croup-like cough but whenever she's had a cough we give her Dimetap and it works like a charm. I know many pedi's don't recommend it but ours said 1/4 tsp-1/2 tsp was fine. It was the only thing that helped!
    Samantha Isabelle Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Elle KateLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would use Motrin instead of Tylenol for the fever.  It is the only thing that keeps DD's fevers down.  We always do the every 3 rotation, so I would do that.  Motrin...3 hours later Tylenol...3 hours later Motrin, etc.  for at least 24 hours.  If you have a humidifier, I would start that up as well.
    Allie ~ 01/26/09 ~ 7 lbs, 9 oz ~ 20.75 in. & Amelia ~ 03/16/11 ~ 8 lbs, 1 oz ~ 21 in.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagelvisser:
    How high is her fever?

• Options

3 of our 4 kids & I  have had this in the last 3 weeks.  Our 16 month old is the one who currently has it (since last Sunday).  DD#2 is just finally getting over it after 1 1/2 weeks.  All had a terrible cough, a LOT of congestion (started as runny nose & then went to lots of thick mucus), watery eyes,  & low-grade fever.  Seems to be the "bug" that's going around right now.  It just needs to run its course. 

I have been running a vaporizer & using Motrin when DS seems really uncomfortable.  I use saline nose drops with DS#2 several times a day to break up the mucus and prevent a sinus infection in him.  I use the bulb to suction out his nose several times daily.

GL, hope your LO feels better soon.

• Options
    how bad is the cough? if it seems your LO is having a hard time breathing, describe it to the pedi. a lot recommend steroids but I know people are against it. Also, cold air helps croup so take a quick walk outside or put a coat on your LO and open a window. Opens the airways with croup.
  • Options

Motrin, lots of fluids, cold air, and steam.  They won't prescribe anything, so you just have to wait it out.  I slept in the room with DS at night so that I could sit with him by the window for a few minutes if he had trouble breathing.  It took 5 days to a week for him to feel better at night.  He acted pretty normally during the day though.

ETA: DS didn't eat much the week he was sick.  I was worried after 5 days and called the Dr's office.  They said as long as he was drinking a lot they weren't worried.  They recommended giving him yogurt smoothies for calories and something nutritious.

• Options
    We took DS to the ER last week because he woke up with the croupy cough and it seemed like he was really struggling to breathe (I had never heard of croup at this point). The only thing they did was give him Motrin and said to take him outside to get fresh air. Something about the vapors in the air clear his passageways. Anyway, it worked. We opened the window in his room. It took a few days to pass. He's just now getting back to his old self. I think he had a pretty mild case. He didn't need breathing treatments or anything and his fever was never over 102.5.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"