Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Anyone use the Evenflo Triumph Advance LX carseat (brown/mint) from Target?

I have a quick question. My Mom has this carseat from Target. I think it was purchased in 2008 or early 2009. She cannot find the manual and I need to double check the rear-facing height/weight limit.

We are ERF my DS in my car in a Britax Boulevard so the info is different. The fire department just tried to tell my my Mom that DS should be forward facing because he weighs 27 lbs now and said the seat needs to be turned.

I argued with them to make the install it rear-facing. It was a pain and took 4 people to get it properly installed. Now I just want to double check that I'm right and he can safely ride rear-facing still as long as he has at least 1 in shell above his head.

I'm not certain as to whether the rear-facing limit is 30 lbs on this seat or not. I know the newer ones have a rear-facing limit of 35 but since this seet is 1.5 to 2yrs old I thought I'd better check.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Anyone use the Evenflo Triumph Advance LX carseat (brown/mint) from Target?

• Options
    RFing is 35 lbs...not sure on the height.  On the side it actually tells you the height/weight requirements.
  • Options
    35 lbs weight limit. As for height, he should have at least 1" of shell above his head.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I thought so and then my Mom found the sticker on the seat that confirms it is good up to 35 lbs RF.

The darn firemen at the firestation made my Mom call me so they could try to convince me to have it put in forward facing. They had her convinced it was unsafe since he is 27 lbs.

I told the fireman on the phone that it is safe to continue to RF him and in fact it is much safer to RF until at least age 2. He tried to agrue, but I shut him down. Apparently, he then told the other men that it was 'not possible to reason with me and to install the seat RF.'

I know it may not be extremely common to RF a child who is nearly 2, but seriously, don't try to convince someone it is unsafe if you don't know the truth.

The other sticker on the seat is the one that I think confused them. It says, "Use rear-facing only with an infant 5-20 lbs." Heck, it nearly confused me when my Mom told me about it. It means that you cannot turn a child before they reach 20 lbs, not that you HAVE to turn them at 20lbs. Good grief!

I think I may need to drop off some information at the station for them on the benefits of extended RF. None of them had any idea!!

• Options
    imageCarolinaDaisy:

I thought so and then my Mom found the sticker on the seat that confirms it is good up to 35 lbs RF.

The darn firemen at the firestation made my Mom call me so they could try to convince me to have it put in forward facing. They had her convinced it was unsafe since he is 27 lbs.

I told the fireman on the phone that it is safe to continue to RF him and in fact it is much safer to RF until at least age 2. He tried to agrue, but I shut him down. Apparently, he then told the other men that it was 'not possible to reason with me and to install the seat RF.'

I know it may not be extremely common to RF a child who is nearly 2, but seriously, don't try to convince someone it is unsafe if you don't know the truth.

The other sticker on the seat is the one that I think confused them. It says, "Use rear-facing only with an infant 5-20 lbs." Heck, it nearly confused me when my Mom told me about it. It means that you cannot turn a child before they reach 20 lbs, not that you HAVE to turn them at 20lbs. Good grief!

I think I may need to drop off some information at the station for them on the benefits of extended RF. None of them had any idea!!

Good for you for sticking to your guns. Honestly, this is not the first time that I have seen people be confused by the sticker wording or by firemen telling them something different.

I think you should drop off some info. It couldn't hurt. Plus, think of all the other parents they ARE convincing to turn their kids. People seem to think that firemen and police officers are all up to date on car seat info and this just isn't true.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

Thanks! I appreciate the support. I know all of my friends here have already turned their children RF for various reasons and none of them are over the RF weight limit. Sometimes I feel like people look at me a little strangely for putting him in the seat RF still. He is a tall boy, probably 35.5" and 27-28 lbs.

However, I know it safest and he is happy that way, so there is no reason to turn him. He doesn't know any differently, so we're going to try to stay that way for a while longer. He's in a Britax Boulevard in my car most of the time and he does seem to have a little more leg room than in my Mom's seat. However, he is extremely verbal, and I have the feeling he would be telling us if he was uncomfortable and yelling to get out.

Anyhow, I was hoping to get him to 2 and we are almost there. Now I'm starting to consider keeping him rear-facing longer since we are nowhere near the weight limit and he has plenty of shell space left above his head.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"