Florida Babies

LWR or Manatee Memorial?

I'm in need of recommendations for OB/GYN in Bradenton/LWR area

AND also feedback re: opinions/experiences delivering at LWR Medical Center vs. Manatee Memorial

Thank you!!!

Re: LWR or Manatee Memorial?

• I live in Bradenton, and so far I've been very happy with my experience with the First Physicians Group (my doctor is Dr. Shroder). They work out of Sarasota Memorial, though, and the offices are right across the street from the hospital. I like my doctor, and I love the nurses and office staff.

I don't have any experience with LWR or Manatee Memorial, but I've heard great things about LWR for labor/delivery and one not-so-great thing about Manatee Memorial.
  • I am seeing the OB's/Midwife at Lakewood Ranch OBGYN Women's Center. They are great, I like them (as much as I can like any OB's when I wanted to birth with an midwife in a birthing center). I have been in an out of Lakewood Ranch Medical Center for high blood pressure and its a great hospital and I have had nothing but good experiences with the staff.

In fact I just called L&D to ask them what I should do about experiencing dizzyness/headache and she remembered who I was (which is probably not a good thing) and talked me through what I should do. I would say you cant go wrong with Lakewood Ranch. BUT the biggest negative I can say for Lakewood Ranch is that they have no NICU. So if you were in a high risk situation, or you deliver early you will have to go to another hospital. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I had my twins at LWR and loved it.  I have never been a patient at Manatee, but have heard some bad things about it.  My doctor is Sudbury and I love him. 
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Thank you for the feedback/suggestions!!  :)
  • I know that Manatee Memorial has gone through some changes.... so what I have to say may not even apply.... but.....

I delivered my son there in 2005. It was one of the WORST experiences ever!!! They changed my room over 5 times. Two out of the 5 days (yes, five!) days I was there they did not give me my dinner at all. The nurses were not the best..... and my anesthesiologist permanently screwed up my back by the epidural. It didn't take the first time, and this jerk poked and prodded so many times, I felt electrical shocks all throughout my body. I don't know why but I let them try and 2nd time, it only half-took.

Because of the anesthesiologist's poking my back the way he did, it caused nerves to become inflamed and let's just say it made my c-section recovery SO much more difficult.

Awful hospital experience. Awful hospital, in my opinion (because of that experience). And now I have something to compare it to because I delivered my 2nd son at a different hospital and it was much, much better all around.

• Wow! I'm sorry you went through all of that with your first delivery!  It sounds terrible.  Thank You for sharing though.  It seems I'm seeing a theme re: Manatee Memorial (from this board and from a couple of people I talked to at work). The theme...don't deliver at Manatee Memorial!!  Glad to hear you had a better experience with your second delivery :)  
  • I had a very, very difficult delivery at LWR, through no fault of theirs.  They treated me like royalty, I was in the hospital for over a week with my baby and I never wanted to go home!  They gave me everything I could have wanted and needed.  Afterwards I had to go back to see them every week because of complications, and 12 weeks post partum I had to have major reconstructive surgery "down there" to fix what my large baby messed up.  I had to have the surgery at Sarasota Memorial.  I LOVED the surgeon, he was amazing, but the hospital was one of the worst experiences I've ever had.  The nurses were rude and treated me like I was an idiot the whole time, wouldn't feed me if I was sleeping during meal times, I asked for crackers after I missed dinner and they gave me 1 package of saltines, it was really horrendous and I complained.  I've heard the maternity ward is really bad from several people but others say it wasn't that bad.

I've also heard bad things about Manatee Memorial.  LWR gave me and DH a lobster dinner after I delivered and actually wheeled another bed into my private room so that DH would have somewhere to sleep for the week!

My vote is for LWR--beautiful private rooms, first class service and treated like royalty, great drs and nurses...Dr. McCullen still calls me during her off hours to see how I'm feeling.  Highly recommend!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"