Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

cutting nails...any tips?

I can no longer cut DS toe nails while he's sleeping.  He wakes up everytime.  I can sometimes cut his finger nails while he sleeps, but he almost wakes up.  

What do you do to get them to keep still?  I've tried to keep him occupied with different toys and stuff, but it doesn't work.   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: cutting nails...any tips?

• Options

My DS seems to behave better for this when he can see what I'm doing, usually I sit him on my lap facing out and hold his hand in front of him. Or I put him in his high chair with a show on and then hold his hand out in front of him while I cut them. If I grab his hand and hold it to the side where he can't really see it he goes nuts.

Sometimes I have to do each hand in a separate sitting because he just won't tolerate it for that long.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    DS has been letting me do it in the bath.  But I like the suggestions about making a show of it and pretending it's hitting me in the face.  I'll have to try that.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am having the same problem with my DD and yesterday I found a great solution.  I will not risk cutting them at nap time because naps have been such a struggle for us, but I can only do it when she is sleeping.  The other day I was running errands and my DD crashed out in her car seat and it was not nap time.  I ran in the house and grabbed my clippers and clipped them in the car (in the garage) while she slept.  It was perfect!  I have never been able to sneak her in and put her to bed when she falls asleep in the car, so I knew was going to be woken up anyway.  If she happened to wake up from me cutting her nails it would be no big deal.  She slept through the whole thing and now I keep a set of nail clippers in the car.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    The "nail hitting me in the face" trick is one of the best things I have ever read on these boards -- and I've been reading since DS was born. Up there with the baby crack machine! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"