Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

not talking at 13 months

sorry in advance as this is probably discussed a lot. 

my 13 month old boy doesnt say any words.  he will sometimes babble "dadada" and rarely "mamamma".  the other day he said "dada" very clearly while looking at my husband but not again since.  and he seems to really just have no interest in it at all which worries me a little.  he walked at 9.5 months and that's all he wants to do - that and run.  (it's like he thinks that learning to walk is the coolest thing ever).

anyways, i wanted to know if there were other mom's with "late" talkers and what your experiences are/were. like i said, this topic is probably discussed frequently but i dont come in here very much.

Re: not talking at 13 months

• Options
    13 months is not late!! DD didn;t say her first words until 14.5 months and by 18 months had 2 word sentences and she's not even 2 yet and speaks in 6+ word sentences!
  • Options
    *Bre**Bre* member

he'll talk. Don't worry. Its still pretty early to be worrying about it.

Mine is just now starting to talk at 19 months. He walked early as well.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Do you talk a lot while he's around? I try and speak constantly.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I don't think it is bad your LO is not saying any words at 13 months.  Is your pedi worried?  If not then try not to stress about it!
    DS 3.7.09
    mm/c 5.3.10 at 10 weeks
    DD 4.1.11
    mm/c 9.25.12 at 11 weeks
    c/p 3.20.13
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    That sounds pretty normal to me.  At least based on my experience. 
  • Options
    I wouldn't say it was late. My DD is much more interested in the running and such like your lo. She talks but has like maybe 5 words she says and says them very rarely. She doesn't seem interested.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My DS still isn't talking at almost 20 months. He says 'yes', babbles all day, can say 'Mama' 'Dada', but doesn't really use them, and his receptive language is EXCELLENT. My pedi said as long as his receptive language is good, they don't worry until around 2 years. He said boys are slower with this stuff anyways. 
    Aidan Jake 7/25/08 Cooper Cole 7/27/10 Tessa Morgan 8/9/12
  • Options

It's hard to see so many parents with such unrealistic expectations. It's not your fault, but along with the benefits of being on a parenting message board, the downfall is that you hear all about babies/kids who do things early so you start to feel like your child is behind.

Not talking at 13 months isnt late. It's very average; quite normal.

• Options

yes i know he isnt considered a Late Talker yet, that's why i said "late".  my other friends with babies ranging from 11 months to 14 months all say at least 2-5 words.  so when that is what im seeing, it worries me a bit.  - just a bit, im not freaking out or anything. 

i do talk around him to the point were i get damn tired of talking!! : )

• Options
    My DD is similar - she walked early (not as early as yours) and now she's more into dancing, spinning, walking backward, running.  She understands almost everything we say to her - like "go get this" or "where is that" stuff like that.  She says "go, go, go" (not sure where she got that - she is in the car with me a lot though, LOL!) and she makes a sound for the kitty but really, that's about it...our pedi said she's just focusing on walking, running, etc and that she'll talk when she wants to.  She babbles a lot but only started doing that right around her 1st birthday.  I have a feeling that once she starts talking she'll just have an explosion of words.  I think this is "normal" for some kids though. 
  • Options

I wouldn't worry.  DD walked at 9 months too and has always been very ahead with all of her motor skills so I just thought she was going to be a genius and talk early too but she didn't either!  She said a handful of words at 13 months and then at 14 months her vocabulary nearly trippled (sp?).  It came out of nowhere and now she will copy almost any word we say to her!

It will happen for you!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

Mine is 16.5mos, and only says mamamama when he's upset.  The rest of the time if I try to get him to say "mama" he looks me straight in the eye and says "DADADADADADA!!!!!!"

So, I say don't worry about it.

"If I'm goin' down, I'm goin' down loud." -John Evans Tweet me
  • Options
    imageAmyDrinkie:

Mine is 16.5mos, and only says mamamama when he's upset.  The rest of the time if I try to get him to say "mama" he looks me straight in the eye and says "DADADADADADA!!!!!!"

So, I say don't worry about it.

this is hilarious bc mine will do this too when he's upset. 

he is also very good (well i think he is) at receptive language.  thanks everyone!!

• Options

My DD had no words at 13 months (and she was just starting to walk).  She started with 2 words at 14 months, and now (17 months), she probably has 30+ words and animal noises.   She's a chatter box now.   I thought we'd be heading towards EI at 13 months, but I was wayyy prematurely worried.

Looking back, I don't think 13-14 months was late - I think I was being a spaz.  lol

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Mine is almost 15 months and just started, maybe in the last week or two, saying more than mama (FYI mama is basically the word for all people - me, papa, nana, random lady at the grocery store).  She says bye bye, baw (for ball), and caca (which is very helpful). She also walked early.  She is much more interested in running, spinning, backing up, etc.  Don't worry.
  • Options
    Oh wow, yeah 13 months is definitely not late, especially for a boy. My DS said his first 2 words at 15 months and didn't say anything else until 18.5 months. Now at 19.5 months he says 20-30 words and more every day. He is also a very active kid and our pedi said its pretty typical for boys to focus on motor skills from 12-18 months and language from 18-24 months. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    If he's babbling, I doubt you have anything to worry about.  13 months is still really young to be saying words.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"