Attachment Parenting

Healthy Development:Sleep

We have always had a hard time getting our LO to take extended day time naps. For example, today she took 2 15 minute naps and later an hour long nap. She has a fussy time in the evening which we have always thought was pretty normal, but now we are starting to worry she is getting too little sleep for healthy development. Any thoughts or similar situations? TIA
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Healthy Development:Sleep

• we worry about DD not getting enough sleep at DCP. it is my sense that she doesn't sleep well there, and i think her naps are too short. that said, she's completely on track developmentally. i've seen other postings here reassuring worried mamas of the same.
  • Have you been reading some guilt inducing book?  That sounds like what Becca was doing at that age.  It was frustrating because she was fussy, I was fussy, and the NCNS made me feel like she was supposed to be getting 4-6 hours of naps.  It was a dark period in my life as a parent. 

I think you just have to respect her napping pattern and it will naturally set its self soon.  You do need to watch for cues and make a nap friendly environment, but otherwise I would worry.

She is now napping way better, but still less than the books say.  You also need to respect your baby's temprement.  I call BS on the books :)

• Loading the player...
  • Emerson naps way less than any book says she should. So I quit reading the books. She's developing fine- she pulls to a stand and cruises, she crawls, she is working on the pincer grasp... trying to get her sleep more just made me angry with her. So I stopped stressing. She rarely naps more than an hour or two (total) during the day. 
  • DD usually take 3 or 4 short naps a day.  I agree the books make me feel like I'm doing something wrong and they drive me crazy.  I realized that when she sleeps good at night she just needs less sleep during the day.  If she has a night where she is up a lot she might take one longer nap, but the rest are still short.  When does she get fussy? DD usually take a short nap around 5:30 and it doesn't disrupt her bedtime, I think it helps. 
  • jshfjshf member
    It is stressful!  But you said your LO gets fussy at night.  I thought DS was just fussy at night cause he was overtired.  Turns out he was just hungry even though I had fed him an hour prior.  Now he doesn't have that problem.  Of course he cries when I swaddle him or put him in his sleep sack!  But that's another issue.  DS takes a lot of short naps 2-3 30-45 minutes and 2-3 longer ones 1.5-2 hours.  I tried to get him to consolidate naps so they were longer, but that just messed with his night sleep and stressed us both out!  If he hasn't slept well, then I will wear him and rock him when he starts to stir to try to extend naps.  But i can't do it for all his naps cause I'd be standing with him on me for about 7 hours and I just can't carry the little guy that long!  He's 16.5 lbs!  Well GL!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • imagejshf:
    It is stressful!  But you said your LO gets fussy at night.  I thought DS was just fussy at night cause he was overtired.  Turns out he was just hungry even though I had fed him an hour prior.  Now he doesn't have that problem.  Of course he cries when I swaddle him or put him in his sleep sack!  But that's another issue.  DS takes a lot of short naps 2-3 30-45 minutes and 2-3 longer ones 1.5-2 hours.  I tried to get him to consolidate naps so they were longer, but that just messed with his night sleep and stressed us both out!  If he hasn't slept well, then I will wear him and rock him when he starts to stir to try to extend naps.  But i can't do it for all his naps cause I'd be standing with him on me for about 7 hours and I just can't carry the little guy that long!  He's 16.5 lbs!  Well GL!

your baby naps for 7 hours a day?  

• DS's pedi said that they don't worry about sleep problems until a baby isn't hitting their milestones. I wouldn't worry. 
    DS May 12, 2009 DD September 7, 2011
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"