Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Breastfeeding help: posterior tongue tie

Anyone have experience with this?  The LC just left and I'm ready to just give up.

Re: Breastfeeding help: posterior tongue tie

• Options
    I think you need to have it clipped...it's a pretty simple procedure. What did she say to do?
    My two PCOS miracles! Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Have you talked to your pedi about clipping his tongue? I'm an SLP and do feeding therapy and that usually helps. Don't give up yet!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I meant clipping his frenulum, not his tongue.
  • Options

Yes!  We got C's frenulum snipped when he was a week old.  It's a 2 second procedure (literally).  The biggest regret I have is giving up and not trying harder to BF him after we had it snipped.  

You can google videos to watch it being performed on a baby... there were literally 2 drops of blood and that was it.  

Don't give up!!!!  If you really want to BF him, you can!  Ask your pedi for a referral to have a frenulectomy done.  C couldn't even extend his tongue past his gum line... it was pretty tight. 

Hang in there!  And congratulations on your little boy! 

• Options
    There's only one person in the area who does this type of tongue-tie (it's sometimes called hidden tongue tie because it's harder to see than the classic type).  He only comes to the peninsula once a week so who knows when I'll be able to see him. I'll be stuck pumping until he can get us in.  I'm in a ton of pain and just feel like I can't last much longer.
  • Options

My LO is severely tied, top and bottom.  Or he WAS on the top.  he is now 17 months old, i nursed him successfully for 8 months.  It was hard at first, but I saw no reason to get him snipped...I myself am tied (with no speech problems) my mother is (no problems) and my sister is a speech therapist and recommended not to.  PM me with questions, my LO was not the best nurser but we survived and he now weighs a hefty 30 pounds.  You can definitely do it...I had my days of wanting to quit but just did the exercises the LC reced and we worked it out wonderfully!

(He fell at 14 months and tore the top one, as the pedi suggested he might eventually!)

• Options
    If you are pumping, buy preemie nipples for the bottle.  They are harder for him than nursing, so he will prefer to feed from you!
  • Options
    imagetiniestjohnson:

My LO is severely tied, top and bottom.  Or he WAS on the top.  he is now 17 months old, i nursed him successfully for 8 months.  It was hard at first, but I saw no reason to get him snipped...I myself am tied (with no speech problems) my mother is (no problems) and my sister is a speech therapist and recommended not to.  PM me with questions, my LO was not the best nurser but we survived and he now weighs a hefty 30 pounds.  You can definitely do it...I had my days of wanting to quit but just did the exercises the LC reced and we worked it out wonderfully!

(He fell at 14 months and tore the top one, as the pedi suggested he might eventually!)

Wow.  How did you manage to BF for that long?  I am in so much pain right now.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"