Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

NTR: What would you do in this situation?

So I just found out that DH's cousins have rented out the condo that they own and are renting an apartment for themselves. They are not paying the mortgage on their condo but keeping the rent money and letting the condo go into foreclosure. I would really love to send an anonymous letter to the renters letting them know what they are doing. I have lost all respect for her and her husband and really do not want to associate with them when I will see them at family functions. (I'll be seeing them in a few weeks at Passover and it's going to be really hard not to say anything judgemental to them).

Would you send a letter to the new renters?

Re: NTR: What would you do in this situation?

• Options

So who's paying the mortgage on the condo? Are they letting it go into foreclosure?

In any case, no, I would not write a letter to the renters. I would stay far far away from this. And as hard as it will be to not say anything, I would bite my tongue. This will come back to bite them in the ass.

• Options
    imageGina418:

So who's paying the mortgage on the condo? Are they letting it go into foreclosure?

In any case, no, I would not write a letter to the renters. I would stay far far away from this. And as hard as it will be to not say anything, I would bite my tongue. This will come back to bite them in the ass.

No one is paying it...they are letting it go into foreclosure. Charging the rent and keeping it for themselves. I know it will come back to bite them in the ass - I just feel so bad for the new tenants (even though I don't know them).

• Loading the player...
  • Options

do they like, brag about this?  are you SURE they aren't paying the mortgage? 

if they do and you are, then i would slip a nice little letter under the renter's door and straight up call said relatives thieving bastards the next time i saw them  but that's just me.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Hmmm..., I would be really tempted to send an anonymous note letting them know that you "suspect" the condo is going into foreclosure.

That's a really crappy thing to do to someone.
  • Options
    imageTheNewMrs.H:
    imageGina418:

No one is paying it...they are letting it go into foreclosure. Charging the rent and keeping it for themselves. I know it will come back to bite them in the ass - I just feel so bad for the new tenants (even though I don't know them).

That's craptastic. Still, I personally wouldn't do anything - there are new laws that protect tenants in this type of situation - they can't simply be thrown out because of the foreclosure. 

• Options
    Sadly enough this happens all the time :(
  • Options
    I don't think its really any of the renters business.  Personally, I would stay out of it.  The only dog in the fight would be the mortgage company, and I'm sure they deal w/ 100's of these every day.  I would MYOB in this situation, no good can come of it.
  • Options

imageCFO:
    I don't think its really any of the renters business.  Personally, I would stay out of it.  The only dog in the fight would be the mortgage company, and I'm sure they deal w/ 100's of these every day.  I would MYOB in this situation, no good can come of it.

Unfortunately, this does effect the renters, as when the foreclosure is truly finalized, the sherriff will be out to serve the renters with eviction papers.  This is usually when renters find out about the situation and it leaves them with little to no time to find a new place, no security depost return, etc.

This is a bad situation overall, but as a landlord, if I knew FOR SURE this was impending, I would certainly find a way to give the renters a heads up.  Finding a new place to live is difficult enough, and trying to do so in a hurry can be impossible.

Bad situation all around.

3/22/09 - Lily Grace, born at 33 weeks, 2 days
    9/12/14 - M/C @ 7 weeks, 1 day (ectopic)

• Options
    imageSWMcFarland:

imageCFO:

Unfortunately, this does effect the renters, as when the foreclosure is truly finalized, the sherriff will be out to serve the renters with eviction papers.  This is usually when renters find out about the situation and it leaves them with little to no time to find a new place, no security depost return, etc.

This is a bad situation overall, but as a landlord, if I knew FOR SURE this was impending, I would certainly find a way to give the renters a heads up.  Finding a new place to live is difficult enough, and trying to do so in a hurry can be impossible.

Yes, this is what I remember from a story on the news not too long ago. The renters had no idea until they got the eviction notice. They had been paying their rent all along and never had any idea this was going on. They ended up having to go live with relatives until they could find a new place to live and put all their stuff in storage. Really bad situation all around and it sucks.

• Options
    imageSWMcFarland:

imageCFO:

I still don't think its the renters business.  Yea, it sucks, but they're not the owners - and usually the company that takes over the property will rent it back for a period of time until they sell it. 

• Options
    imagevioletvirgo:

do they like, brag about this?  are you SURE they aren't paying the mortgage? 

if they do and you are, then i would slip a nice little letter under the renter's door and straight up call said relatives thieving bastards the next time i saw them  but that's just me.  

This. Having been on the renter's end when this happens, it SUCKS. We were very happy with the house we were renting, and when it got close to time to renew, our landlord told us he wanted to sell the house instead. We thought about possibly seeing if we could rent-to-own but then a couple days later got served the notice of foreclosure. We had just enough time to get our stuff together and find a new place, but we were lucky.

• Options
    A sucky situation for sure, but it's really not your place to get involved.
  • Options

I would suggest staying out of it. It sucks to witness such poor/unethical/illegal behavior/actions, BUT I am pretty sure the tenants can take your cousins to court if they get evicted before their lease is up due to the foreclosure. Whether or not they'll get their money back, who knows... but at the very least they will have a judgement made against your cousins. If it is in Virginia, there is a Tenants' "Bill of Rights."

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"