Breastfeeding
Options

That's it - I'm gonna kick jaundice supplementing into next week

I'm so freakin sick of hearing this on this board. I'm going to gather all the relevant medical facts and post here and on all the tri boards to educate moms so they don't get pushed around by incompetent and unsupportive doctors. (DH is a pedi, so it'll be serious, legit information about how common hyperbili is, what levels really require intervention/treatment, and when it's good to keep bfing).

I'll be back hopefully within the day.

Re: That's it - I'm gonna kick jaundice supplementing into next week

• Options

Good news!

I always cringe when I hear people say their pedi said they have no choice but to supplement because their baby is jaundiced. A good portion of the time it's totally unecessary, and destroys a breastfeeding relationship before it even has a chance to get off the ground.

My DS was severely jaundiced (levels in the low 20's), and I was specifically told NOT to supplement, that it wasn't necessary, and his levels would come back down with normal breastfeeding and some light treatments. And they did.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    we supplemented using ebm...  not sure why thats not a more pushed option.
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

imageMelodyMoonstone:

I hate to have to suspect this, but it makes me wonder if some pediatricians aren't getting kickbacks from formula companies. Like vets do for recommending a certain types of pet food.

• Options
    YesWooHoo! Go you! DS had jaundice pretty bad, they kept poking the poor little guy to check his levels, but thankfully we were never told to supplement. They, the home care nurses & pedi, encouraged me to BF more and said that once my milk was in that would help, which it did. It makes me so sad to see on here so often that moms are told to supplement with formula.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    TTC#2 October 2011. June 2012 diagnosed with mild PCOS and both tubes blocked.
    10/1/12 miracle BFP 11/12/12 missed m/c (9w2d), baby stopped growing at 7 weeks
    1/16/13 BFP, EDD 9/27/13, m/c 1/19/13
    imagephoto rainbowleavesbadge-1_zpsa9246b63.jpg
    2/12/13 BFP, EDD 10/25/13 Please stick little one
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    A stowaway on board! :)
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options

Yes mine too. The pedi didn't say aything about supplementing. we went back to the hospital for light therapy. He also spent three days at home with a smaller light bed.

He has been EB since day one.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket
  • Options

imageMelodyMoonstone:

I wouldn't have been able to supplement with ebm.  My milk wasn't in when my LO was jaundiced. My pedi didn't suggest replacing BFing.  They suggested supplementing BFing with formula - 1-2 tsps.  Are you suggesting not feeding at all?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I think it depends on how the info is presented. SO many moms are just told to supplement, without given further info on continuing to pump, using a cup/spoon over a bottle, etc.

It also depends on the levels of course, but I do agree it seems many are told formula and nothing else. I was told to nurse in front of sunlight for example, that is NEVER mentioned on here but it worked for us for both kids, even in January!

My two PCOS miracles! Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageThe_Spanish_Inquisition:

imageMelodyMoonstone:

I hate to have to suspect this, but it makes me wonder if some pediatricians aren't getting kickbacks from formula companies. Like vets do for recommending a certain types of pet food.

I think that's certainly a possibility, unfortunately.

• Options
    imageThe_Spanish_Inquisition:

Good news!

I always cringe when I hear people say their pedi said they have no choice but to supplement because their baby is jaundiced. A good portion of the time it's totally unecessary, and destroys a breastfeeding relationship before it even has a chance to get off the ground.

My DS was severely jaundiced (levels in the low 20's), and I was specifically told NOT to supplement, that it wasn't necessary, and his levels would come back down with normal breastfeeding and some light treatments. And they did.

Ditto PP.  My pedi was 100% behind me not supplementing and just breastfeeding frequently.  She said that as long as he was peeing and pooping enough and had the light treatments there is no reason to supplement.  She said a lot of doctors just too fast to that when it isn't necessary.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    We didn't have to deal with jaundice, but my pedi and the LCs at the hospital just pushed constant nursing with everyone (who was BFing) and said it would help with jaundice.  The LC at our pedi had to do cup feeding with her granddaughter (we are friends with her daughter) because our friend had a C-section and her milk was delayed, so I know they would do that (or an SNS) for jaundice as well if absolutely necessary.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    YesYesYes
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"