Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Would you take free formula from a co-worker?

We have 3 brand new cans of Similac formula and I don't think we'll be using it.  DH bought it five months ago when I returned to work because it seemed like my production was decreasing and I was so afraid I wouldn't make enough to feed DD.  Turns out we never needed it and it doesn't look like we will.  There's a gal at my office who has a 4-month old on formula and I'm thinking about giving it to her.  I won't ask her for money, of course.  I just hate to throw it away.  It's totally not a "hand out", I don't think for a second that she can't afford to buy it.  We aren't friends but we're friendly now that we have new babies.  Would it be weird if I just offered to give it to her?  Am I totally overthinking this?

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Re: Would you take free formula from a co-worker?

• Yeah, you're overthinking this Smile

I have a coworker that brings me formula quite often, she gets free samples in the mail but she is nursing.

She'll appreciate it, I sure do!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • As long as it was sealed, I would take it and be very appreciative!  Not weird at all, IMO.
  • Loading the player...
  • It wouldn't hurt to ask. Just tell her you bought it and never used it. It might not be the brand or kind she uses though. If she doesn't take it you can always donate it to a women's shelter or something similar.

• You're overthinking it.

I'm sure she'll be grateful. It's not like you'd be saying, 'here, you poor thing, take this.'  You're giving it b/c you won't use it and she can. Offer it to her in random conversation about babies.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Just tell her you have some that you're not going to use and you were wondering if she wanted it. I love when people give me free stuff!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imageAnne0784:

Yeah, you're overthinking this Smile

I have a coworker that brings me formula quite often, she gets free samples in the mail but she is nursing.

She'll appreciate it, I sure do!

All of this LOL. I gave away a bunch when I found out A had to have soy.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I would be ecstatic if one of my coworkers gave me formula. That stuff is expensive. I've had several friends give it to me, since I'm the only one who uses Similac Isomil and everyone got a can in the samples that Similac sends out. I never once thought my friends thought I couldn't afford it, it was just a nice thing and I took it as that. So yeah, I would mention to her and if she seems interested, bring it in. Also, if you still aren't comfortable doing that- you can give it away on Craigslist or Freecyle. Don't throw it away!
    imageimage
    Matilda 6/19/09
    Graham 10/25/13
  • All of the moms I know are always offering up the things they can't use that they've bought too much of, or get in the mail or whatever.  It's totally normal, ask her if it's the kind she uses.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I would snatch it up in a heartbeat - that's ever $60 in formula! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have given and have taken free formula, without questioning.  I just have said "we don't need this, could you use it".  If you don't feel comfortable giving it to a co-worker, you could always donate it to a women's shelter or something.
  • I would totally take it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"