Babies on the Brain
Options

Southern phrases I just don't get...

Example #1

"Had a big time today at the cow tippin festival"

----- Why is it a "big" time?

Example #2

"I'm almost done with my homework ma!"

"How much do you like?"


----- I always thought it was "lack"

TTC #1 - Cycle 29 - BFP!! 03/05/10
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Blog BFP Chart Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Southern phrases I just don't get...

  • Options

    Don't get me started on "rurn't".

    I rurn't the chicken.

    Or the infamous, "I'm all stove up?"

    Wth, does that mean?  Stove up?

    After a huge debate with hubby that this is not in the English language it means that his joints and muscles are feeling cramped.  Why not just say I feel tense, cramped.  Gah, southern twang makes me sick. 

    Yes I have a slight southern accent but I don't participate in that nonsense speak and slaughter of the engligh language.

    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    i work with this guy who is about as southern as it gets, and i'm pretty sure he just makes up his crazy phrases as he goes along. because 90% of them don't make sense, the other 10% sound perverted but are supposed to be innocent
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm way too northern for those.
    Baby #1 edd 4/21/07 - Matthias James born 5/2/07, 9 lbs, 22 in
    image

    Baby # 2 edd 11/26/08 - Ezra Jacob born 11/29/08, 9 lbs 6 oz., 21 3/4 in
    image

    Baby #3 edd 05/04/13 - Titus Jude born 05/01/13, 9 lb 5 oz. 21.5 in
    image

    image
  • Options

    Big is synonymous with grand.  Big time = grand time = good time. 

    The second one I don't think i've ever heard it before. 

    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Little Man (4 years old---holy cow)
    He's the single greatest thing I've done in my life and reminds me daily of how fun (and funny) life can be.  He's turned out pretty swell for having such a heartless and evil mother.  
  • Options
    I HATE rrrrrrrrnt! MrG will say it JUST to annoy me for fun. ::rips hair out::
    TTC #1 - Cycle 29 - BFP!! 03/05/10
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Blog BFP Chart Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

    I'm southern and dont use any of those phrases.  I do use ya'll and fixing to though!!

    I'm fixin to go to the store ya'll!

  • Options
    imageBallSox:

    Big is synonymous with grand.  Big time = grand time = good time. 

    The second one I don't think i've ever heard it before. 

    Ah. Thank you friend.  That makes a little more sense. (just a little)

    ;)

    TTC #1 - Cycle 29 - BFP!! 03/05/10
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Blog BFP Chart Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I've heard of the "big" time, but none of those other phrases.  The one that gets me is that people around here call shopping carts buggies or bags.  It really annoys me.
    image
    image
    image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

    I enjoy "over yonder" 

    "Hey Y'all I'm fixin to go to the piggly wiggly.  We're meetin up with my mom'n'em for a grand time in the park over yonder" 

    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Little Man (4 years old---holy cow)
    He's the single greatest thing I've done in my life and reminds me daily of how fun (and funny) life can be.  He's turned out pretty swell for having such a heartless and evil mother.  
  • Options

    The one I can't stand is one my sister uses..I am going to go "crank" my car. That one really gets on my nerves along with the "buggies" which is a cart.

    imageimageimageimage *In my camera bag* Canon XT, 50mm 1.8, 28-75mm 2.8, 28-300mm 5.6, 18-55mm kit lens
  • Options
    imagejbyoung:

    Don't get me started on "rurn't".

    I rurn't the chicken.

    Or the infamous, "I'm all stove up?"

    Wth, does that mean?  Stove up?

    After a huge debate with hubby that this is not in the English language it means that his joints and muscles are feeling cramped.  Why not just say I feel tense, cramped.  Gah, southern twang makes me sick. 

    Yes I have a slight southern accent but I don't participate in that nonsense speak and slaughter of the engligh language.

    No, we wouldn't want to do that. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"