Eco-Friendly Family

CDs and coconut oil?

we've been using coconut oil in place of diaper creams since DD had a yeast rash. (btw, coconut oil totally ROCKS at getting rid of yeast rash.)

now that we're all clean and healthy again, we're back in our CD. do you think coconut oil is CD-safe? lots of CD-safe dipe balms/creams have some kind of oil in them, but i haven't seen any with coconut oil i don't think.

thoughts?

Re: CDs and coconut oil?

• What type of diapers are you using?
  • Could you use a fleece liner, just to be on the safe side?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Lol, I asked this question a few weeks ago. I've been using it for a few weeks in a diaper rash cream I made, and it hasn't affected our CDs. Usually we use an Imse Vimse liner (for poop) but sometimes I don't. No stains or repelling so far, and I've found a few things online where people have said they've used coconut oil with no effects to their diapers. I've heard that CJ's BUTTer, which is CD-safe, uses coconut oil too. (I read that it's fish oil, esp. cod liver, that you want to avoid with CDs.)

I originally came across coconut oil when DS had an open-sore rash (possibly yeast, not sure) and it did a great job of healing it, so we stuck with my homemade coconut oil concoction and love it.

• cjnm--would you share your homemade diaper rash cream receipe?
  • I would never have thought to use that..great idea!
  • fleece liners are a good idea. i was mostly wanting to use the coconut oil for overnight, and she's usually in a BG3 w/hemp inserts for nitetime.

really though, coconut oil is brilliant! we just keep a ramekin of it at her changing table. its kind of semi-solid at room temp, goes on easy, heals everything!

• imageMrs.Lauderdale:
    cjnm--would you share your homemade diaper rash cream receipe?

Hi, sorry so late, I don't come on very often. I've read olive oil is good for diaper rash too, so I might add a little to my next batch if I find out it's CD-safe. You can also just use straight coconut oil; it melts on the skin so you grab it as solid but it melts in a second so you can rub it on DC's diaper area easily. My DH told me the other day he loves this stuff b/c he knows exactly what's in it and it's not "icky" like other creams.

Here's the recipe, from https://www.passionatehomemaking.com/2009/09/homemade-natural-diaper-cream-lotion.html

1/8 cup coconut oil (extra virgin is preferred)
    1/4 cup raw shea butter
    3-4 Tablespoons talc-free cornstarch or arrowroot power (optional, to thicken)

Combine coconut oil and shea butter in a small bowl with a hand mixer or stick blender. You may have to soften the shea butter just slightly over very low heat in order to incorporate them well together, but it should combine well with a mixer. Add cornstarch or arrowroot a tablespoon at a time until you achieve the desired thickness. It will look similar to a whipped icing.That?s it! Transfer to a small covered container and place at your changing station. Keep a small portion in the diaper bag as well. Apply liberally with each diaper change as a preventative and rash salve. There are many more complicated homemade varieties out there, but this simple recipe has done the trick for us! Makes about 1 cup.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"