Infertility

? for those that have done IVF

I have to travel 2 1/2 hours to the RE that is doing our IVF.  I am planning to stay in the area for stim week and up through ER.  But I want to go home after ER.  Am I crazy to think that I will be okay to ride in the car for 2 1/2 hours following ER?  I know I will be sleepy and I am considering just bringing a pillow and blanket and crashing in the backseat...but I am worried about pain/discomfort.  Could you have done it?  Or would stay an extra night?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: ? for those that have done IVF

• My RE was 1 1/4 hrs away, and I just reclined the back seat of my parent's minivan and slept.  I think 2 1/2 hrs will be fine.
    Clomid x 2 cycles ..... BFN. 6/08 Gonal F with TI- BFN. 7/08 Gonal F #2 - IUI 7/11, BFN. 9/22/08 IUI #2 and Accupuncture - Chemical Pregnancy. 11/08 IUI #3 with accupuncture - BFN. 12/08 IUI #4 BFN. 5/09 IVF #1 ER 7/6/09, ET 7/9/09 - BFN. FET 12/18/09 - BFN IVF #2 -ER 3/6, ET 3/9, OMG - BFP!!! Beta #1 3/22 -332, Beta #2 3/24 - 701, Beta #3 - 14,889 - 1st u/s - TWINS!! SAIF ALWAYS WELCOME!!! ***Why can't 88 million sperm and 3 eggs find each other in an organ the size of a pear??*** Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker In the confrontation between the stream and the rock, the stream always wins--not through strength but by perseverance. - H. Jackson Brown
  • It is really not that painful. You are definantly sore....but that's about it. I could have been in the car for several hours and been fine. I wasn't that sleepy either.
    IVF #1 BFN... IVF #2 BFP! TWINS!
    Twins born too early at 23 weeks due to incompetent cervix
    FET #1, IUI #1, 2, 3, 4 - all BFN
    IVF #3 BFP!!! IT'S A BOY! Born July 16th, 2011
    FET #2 BFP! Due February 15, 2013
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I hate to be the odd one out, but that would be pretty uncomfortable for me. We have a 25 min or so drive home, plus a stop to grab lunch, plus drop off my pain med rx, and I was DONE with the car by then. I COULD have driven longer but it was pretty uncomfortable. I'm actually in quite a bit of pain, particularly on my left side. I'd get a hotel room and just relax that night.
  • I bet you will just sleep. I don't think that is crazy at all. I took a 4 hour nap right when I got home and I NEVER nap!
    TTC #1 since 6/08, MFI dx'd 3/09 Varicocelectomy 6/09, Hydrocelectomy 10/09 IVF with ICSI in Jan/Feb 2010 ER 2/7, ET 2/12 - transferred 2 blasts 5 snowbabies Beta #1 = 22 #2 = 19. Chemical Pregnancy :( FET May 2010 ET 5/30 - transferred 3 embies = BFN Fall/10 Went Gluten free + New RE and Clinic IUI #1 + Clomid 50 mg (1 follie) on 1/18 IUI #2 + Clomid 100 mg (1 follie) on 2/15 IUI# 3 + Femara 7.5 mg (1 follie) on 3/14 = BFP!!!! Beta #1 = 172 (15dpiui) Beta #2 =683!!! Ultrasound at 7 wks: 1 perfect beating heart. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Our RE was about 1 1/2 hours and we did the commute for both ET and ER. It was no big deal, I dozed on the way home for both but could definitely handle the ride, no problem.
  • I did a 3 hr. car ride for IVF # 3 and #4. I even got pg on IVF #3. (It has no impact on implantation if that's why you are worried Smile.) And we were driving the streets in NYC or Pothole, USA.  As far as pain goes,  I usually find that whatever meds they give me last until I stop at Dunkin Donuts for an egg white sandwich and get home. I love my bed.
  • Thanks ladies!
  • It was pretty painful for me.  The doc did prescribe vicodin, I didn't take it but I might have if I had to drive 2 1/2.  Mine was only an hour drive.  Depending on the roads you should be ok.
    Dec '09 IVF #1 = Epic Fail Feb '10 FET #1 = Epic Success!
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined." - Henry David Thoreau
    formula-feeding, co-napping, sposie-using, baby-wearing, ap-ish mamma! Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I think if you're laying down and well medicated you should be fine. It depends on how uncomfortable you are to begin with before the ER. My first IVF I had OHS and was absolutely miserable. We had a death in our house that morning and I couldn't even be upright or conscious for my family after my ER. The other 2 weren't that bad though.
    Expect MIRACLES!! Shocking surprise BFP 9/12/12 After 2 IUIs, 3 IVFs w/ICSI and 1 FET we have been blessed with a healthy baby girl born 26 August 2010! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Pregnancy Ticker
  • It was a 2.5 hour drive from the MTF where we did IVF to where we were living.  It was not the most fun drive, but it was not awful, either.  Heck, when we stopped for lunch, I was the one who went in (to Panera) to get our sandwiches--I wanted to get up and move around.  I was really, really sore too.  I wanted to get home to my own bed.

Best of luck!  My thoughts are with you!

• My RE is an hour and a half from my house and I slept the whole way home from it. I was very crampy when I woke up and they gave me two huge Tylenol and that helped a lot. On the ride home I had moderate discomfort, but only one big bump really josseled me. It all depends on your pain tolerance.
  • I think you will ultimately be fine.  

But then you are going to have the long drive there and back for the day of the ET too?

TTC since 8/07 DX - Severe MFI/azoospermia & MTHFR/ TESEs found sperm - 7/08 & 6/09/ 12/08 - IVF#1 - BFN/ 6/09 - IVF #2 - cancelled due to OHSS risk (had retrieval)/ 7/09 - FET #1 - BFN/ 9/09 - FET #2 - BFN/ 11/09 - IVF #3 with new RE cancelled twice - 10/09 & 11/09/ 1/10 - IVF #3 take 3 - BFN/ 4/10 - IVF #4 - first ever BFP on 5/13/10!!! 108 @ 10dp3dt/ 2nd beta 311!/ sono on 5/28/10 said TWINS!!!! Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imagejodyplustwinsx2:
    I hate to be the odd one out, but that would be pretty uncomfortable for me. We have a 25 min or so drive home, plus a stop to grab lunch, plus drop off my pain med rx, and I was DONE with the car by then. I COULD have driven longer but it was pretty uncomfortable. I'm actually in quite a bit of pain, particularly on my left side. I'd get a hotel room and just relax that night.

I'm going to agree with Jody. I could have done it after ET, but after ER i was in so much pain, especially on the one side they really tried to get an extra egg off of. Every bump and pothole was like a knife through my ovary. By the time we got home (45 minutes in the snow), i was ready to pop a perc and pass out.

If the ride was much longer, I think it would have been awful.

Dx: MFI, DOR, 9 Fibroids and homozygous MTHFR

"Smudge's Story - How to Grow a Dandelion" will return soon!
    The Dandelion Archive
    "If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn."

We're Finally Three Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Yes we will have to go back for the ET.  Right now it is tentatively set for 3/20 (a saturday) and my DH will have to work thursday and friday.  Since I will need him to drive me (taking valium before), I have to do that drive.  Unless he is able to get a medical leave to take care of me....that just throws a whole other kink into the mix!

But it sounds like I should be okay!  Thanks again!

• my ER & ET took place in NYC, just over an hour from where I live. I was fine on the way home. 

good idea to bring a pillow and blanket just in case. 

• I think it depends how long you rest before your journey home.  I rested for 4 hours in the recovery room until I was discharged.  I'm not sure I would have wanted to be in a car within the 1st hour post ER but after the 2nd hour, it was fine.

For me, it felt like bad mentrual cramps but the pain killers kicked in within 15 min and it as just some soreness.  GL to you.

• My RE is 45 minutes one way, so not nearly as long as your ride.  But it's honestly not that bad. You will recover for a little bit in the RE's office before you're sent home. I actually had OHSS so I was super bloated but the car ride home was fine.  GL!
  • I'm in the same situation as you, and we drove straight home from our last ET.  It wasn't bad at all, the valum they gave me allowed me to sleep the entire car ride home, it was nice!
  • Hey!  I also live in NC and my RE is a little more than 2 hours away as well. Unfortunately, I couldn't take off for the week of stimming, so I drove up there A LOT during my stimming period.

We rode back home the day of my ER and ET.  I was perfectly fine.  I took a snuggie (don't laugh) and one of those neck pillows for air travel and relaxed.  GL!

TTC since Jan. 07
    6 IUIs,IVF #1 w/ICSI = BFP!
    Betas, 332 & 856 = twins!

Our baby girl is here!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"