Breastfeeding
Options

nursing older baby

My LO is going to be a year old in a couple weeks. I wondered if after your LO reached 12 months you altered the way your nursed them at all? My LO still nurses every 2-3 hours. I have no plans to wean, but wondered if I should start offering solids BEFORE BFing instead of an hour after? Just wondering how your nursing habits in general changed after a year. Thanks :-)

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: nursing older baby

• Options
    Its my understanding that at this point your baby should be getting more of their nutrition from solid foods.  So, yes, I think you should be offering solids first now.  Has your pedi offered you some guidance on this transition?  My son is 10 months and nurses 3-4x/day.
  • Options
    I didn't.  I continue to nurse on demand - he has slowly started nursing less on his own (until he got sick this week and has done nothing but nursed!).
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

DD's general habits changed right at a year, so that influenced how she nursed. For example, she went from two naps per day to one very long nap right in the middle of the day the day of her first birthday and never went back. I used to nurse her before her morning nap and just after her morning nap, then served lunch about 30-45 minutes later. When she started going down for one nap, I would nurse her before the nap, then just feed her lunch as soon as she woke up from that nap and not nurse again until later in the afternoon. She slowly dropped other nursing sessions on her own until she was down to 3 by 14 months. At 21 months, she still nurses 2-3 x/day.

I still nurse her first thing in the morning and feed her breakfast about an hour later. I like to have breakfast as a family, so nursing her first thing gives me time to get up, shower, have coffee with DH, then make breakfast and sit down to eat all together.

Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"