Nurseries and Baby Gear

Picking a room??

Hi,

I find we are having a hard time picking the room where baby will stay.  We both would like to have the baby in our room to start with, at least until the baby is sleeping through the night.  However, our space it tight.  I don't like to keep cramping things into our room and it already seems over stuffed even without any baby items.  Trying to put a crib and a changer in our room almost seems impossible to me.

What benefits are there if any for putting the baby in its own room?

Re: Picking a room??

• C sleeps in our room, but the only baby thing in there is the bassinet/mini crib. The changing table etc is all in her room.

I'm starting to think about moving her to her own room because she CAN sleep through the night but wakes up and talks REALLY loud and wakes us up. If I don't pick her up she will go back to sleep on her own, but only after we're both awake. In her own room she'd have to be crying to wake us up (I think). 

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
  • We're going to have the baby in our room for a while, until either the kid can sleep through the night or until we decide that both of us shouldn't be waking up all the time. I think we're either going to find a bassinet or use a pack and play on the highest setting for our room, but the crib and dresser are already in the other room. In a few months the kid should be sleeping through the night, and if it isn't, it will learn that its ok to wake up and go back to sleep. The main thing is, if the baby isn't sleeping through the night we're going to have to hook up moniters because hubby and I can sleep like the dead, no big deal there. We're also going to have to leave on lights throughout the house because the cat camps out infront of our door starting between 3 and 4 am and we trip over her every morning as it is and I don't really want to open door, trip over cat and open door on the other side of the hallway. Then the cat will be thinking that I'm awake to feed and worship her furry butt and I can't imagine that I'll feel very charitable towards her.
    Natural M/C-> 10/21/09

2011 Reading Challenge

2011 Reading Challenge
    Adrienne has read 16 books toward her goal of 80 books.
    hide
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • DS was in his room from day 1.  Our bedroom was too small for a PnP, let alone a changing table, too!  It wasn't that many steps to his room from ours.

Benefits:

• You can turn on the light and do what you need to do to get ready for bed without disturbing baby (you may be able to get up before baby and shower/get ready and then wake baby for work later on--DS never let me do this--he would wake whenever I did, but I hear of lots that do).
    • One of you can get up to take care of baby during the night without disturbing the other as much (I used to turn off the monitor when I left the room and turned it back on before I went back to bed to save DH some sleep.  I could go back to sleep easily--he couldn't and would toss and turn the rest of the night.)
    • More room in your room (and a baby-free oasis of sorts--which was good for our dogs)
    • Baby can make lots of noises at night while sleeping--if you're a light sleeper, it will be better for your sleep to be in their own room
    • No worries about transitioning to a crib later

That's all I can think of for now...

ETA: Oh--I'm a heavy sleeper--I wasn't when DS started to cry.  My mommy hormones/intuition kicked in and I was awake almost immediately.  It was something I was worried about when pg the first time.  Now that he sleeps through the night, it does take awhile to wake me (we don't use the monitor anymore), but he can yell very loudly now.  :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"