Working Moms

2 under 2??

Anyone out there? Please share your tips...work, family etc? I got a BFP. TIA!

Re: 2 under 2??

• my dc are 19 1/2 m apart.  I work parttime.  I found my second pg and newborn to be much easier.  it was an easy transition for me.  I was stressed out when I found out.... but it all falls into place. 

congrats!

• Post on the 2u2 board if you haven't already.  The ladies there are really friendly and will be glad to help.  Like pp said, it all falls into place.

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• Loading the player...
  • My situation is a little different since I had two at once, but it's doable.  I think my biggest frustration was (and still is) always feeling outnumbered.  DH leaves for work before we get up (has a long commute), so I'm the get ready, drop off and pick up parent.  You can do it! 

• My little ones are 17 months apart. Some things were really easy and other parts were/ are a struggle. 

The struggles:

1.) I never believed it but going from 1 to 2 is huge! If I'm home alone, it is crazy being outnumbered.

2.) My DD slept at 3 months when I went back to work. DS just started sleeping through the night a week ago. I never had to deal with lack of sleep and work. Now I have a new found respect for mom's who have done it.. It's hard.

3,) Being Mom is wonderful and bittersweet... My kids only want me sometimes (ok- a lot). When they both want me, and not my hubby, it is hard.

But I LOVE it!! My kids were playing together today and it made my heart burst. You can tell they really enjoy and love each other.

My DD had a little jealousy for a couple days, but after that, she's been wonderful with her baby brother. She really looks out for him and she'll never really know life without him..

I think my DS is picking up some things earlier too because of his sister. He is 6 months and ahead of his milestones because he wants to play. :)

Congratulations!!

• I'll let you know in August ;)  I was really worried at first, but now I think we'll be just fine.  We had a big adjustment to make with DD, and we'll just have to adjust again.

• My LO came along when the twins were 26 months.  It is completely doable.  Things may feel a little out of joint at first but you will quickly fall into a rhythm. 

I tried to keep the older boys' schedule as close to normal as possible.  The baby doesn't have any sense of order but your older one probably already has set routines.  My mom came to help when I got out of the hospital.  I wanted her to concentrate on the baby (when I needed help juggling) while I worked with the older boys.  For example, I would have my mom on baby duty while DH and I handled bath time.  They were used to having both of us with them at bath/bed time so we wanted to stick with that.  After the baby got older we would put him to sleep first then concentrate on the older boys about an hour later.  It seems to have worked well for us. 

You will figure out what works for you.

Congratulations and good luck!

My twins are 5! My baby is 3!

DS#2 - Allergic to Cashew, Pistachio, Kiwi

DS#3 - Allergic to Milk, Egg, Peanut, Tree Nuts and Sesame

• Mine are 21 mos apart.  It can definitely be done!  I work FT now, but did transition back after #2 was born and worked PT until she was 6 mos old.  For the 1st year, we were just surviving.  I did most of my cooking and housework on the weekends.  DH was great at giving me breaks.  It just goes so fast the 2nd time around that you're through the worst of it before you know it.  It's tough, but so worth it!
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • I have two that are the same age. It was overwhelming at first but like PP said it is doable! The best thing is they keep each other company. When it comes to working, I do have to get up almost an hour earlier to have enough time to get myself and the girls ready. I had to get into a morning routine to make sure I get out of the house one time.

• My girls are 21 months apart and my 2nd pregancy was really hard including bed rest at the end.  I was told by a few people that once the baby hits 12 months it will really start to get easier and by 18 months, it s a breeze.  Not sure I would say its a breeze but it is way better.  The 1st year was hard and as someone else, I was just surviving.  My 2nd had bad reflux and was not a great sleeper due to this and my older DD has always been a bit needy and both are very much Mommy's girls.  Now that they are older (alomst 2 and 3 years 9 months) life is great.  We rarely use a stroller anymore, they play together, they like a lot of the same things and we can finally do things without taking half the house with us.  It takes time to find your routine and figure out what works for you and your DH.  Teamwork is key.  My DH and I both work FT and we figured out what works for us after about 3-6 months (things change as schedules change).  We have a great balance going now on who does what.  As someone else said, we kept my older DD's routine as normal as possible when baby came - she went to daycare as always during my leave which worked out great as it was normal for her and I got to bond with the baby one on one and visit DH at work and most important, sleep during the day.  We kept older as involved as possible with the baby - helping with bedtime, baths, even diaper changing (DD has always wanted to help).  Yes, the girls have their moments but they are such great friends.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"