Northern California Babies

Poll for those that do or have pumped

I've never felt that I have had supply issues but I don't seem to get much when I pump...

1.) How often do/did you pump (per day or week)?

2.) How many ozs on each side would you get?

3.) How many mins do/did you pump for?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Poll for those that do or have pumped

• I'm brand new to this but here's my experience:

1) I pump after each feeding and sometimes in place of a feeding.  WITH bf, I can't keep up with every 2 hours.

2) I get between a few drops and a half an ounce per side after a feeding.  A little over an ounce (maybe 1.5 ounces) each side in place of a feeding

3) I pump for 5 minutes after a feeding or 15/20 minutes in place of a feeding

• Is your baby STTN or taking a good long stretch at night?  I always found I had the most milk first thing in the morning.  I would wake up ~2 hours before baby would wake up, and pump.  In the early months, I would stop after 8 oz (~4 oz each side, although one side was usually much more efficient), go back to sleep, and then still have enough to feed baby once he woke up.  Pumping at night always got me the least amount of milk, but I know some moms pump religiously at night just before they go to bed, figuring that every ounce counts.

Never got much at all when I pumped after a feeding, and there's really no time to pump between feedings during the day as you want to be sure to still have enough when the next feeding rolls around.

• Loading the player...
  • 1) I pump once a day at night between 8-9pm.

2) I get 3-4oz on the left and 5-6oz on the right.

3) I pump for 10 minutes.

:-)

• The first time I pumped DS was days old and I got fractions of an ounce. At a month or two I would pump at night (2 am) if he slept through a feeding. I'd get maybe 4 ounces total on a good night. I occassionally pumped one side after nursing at 4 am and would get 2 ounces total. If I tried to pump in the evening I likely would get anything because I nurse to sleep.At work I pumped 3 x a day and got between 12 and 15 ounces total each day 8 hour day which wasn't enough.
  • I pump after as many feedings as possible..maybe 3-4 times a day. And I get 3-4 ozs at most...total..

I pump till no milk comes out then start over to hopefully create a new letdown then pump for 3 mins or so after no milk comes out.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    br
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersbr>
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • 1.) How often do/did you pump (per day or week)? I didn't pump much before I went back to work and after my "supply" came it but I did establish a time two or three hours after she goes to sleep.. At work I pump three times when I am there the whole day (I work 2.5 days/week) so total times is 10/week 2.) How many ozs on each side would you get? It depends which side she took last, but 3-4 oz total if she has not eaten for about three hours. 2 oz if she ate 1-2 hours prior. 3.) How many mins do/did you pump for? I pump total about 15 minutes. I do two let down cycles with compression and massage and then hand expression (which makes a big mess). so basically if I was working full time I don't think I would make enough to get her through the work days. I also give her one formula bottle a day though so that helps.  
  • 1) Now I pump once or twice a day. Generally first thing in the morning after feeding her and sometimes at night. Once in a while I throw in an additional pumping if I feel too full or am going to be gone/leaving her with someone. I started out pumping after EVERY feeding and have slowly tapered down to the once a day routine.

2) In the morning I generally get 4 ounces total, maybe 1+ ounces from the left side and close to 3 from the right (once in a while I'll only get 2, but sometimes I'll get close to 6). When I pump at night I'm lucky to get 2 ounces.

3) I try to pump 10-15 minutes, although once in a while I'll cut it short at like 7 when I've gotten a good portion of the pumping and C is screaming (I swear she hears the pump sound and wakes up). 

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
  • I pump only a couple times a week and will pump an hour after I feed Charlie. I only get about 2-2.5 ozs total. Its going to take a long time to get a supply going in the freezer. I better start pumping more!
  • I've pumped a lot, and it totally varies.  When I first started pumping, about three days after Miles was born (we had some trouble breastfeeding at first, so he got bottles of breastmilk early) I didn't get much milk.  When he was probably 3-4 weeks old, I started pumping every four hours, and then every three hours.  I'd feed him if he was awake, but if not, I'd just get up and pump.  In those days, I'd probably get five oz. total from a "good" pumping session.  Once we got into a groove and I had an ample supply, I would still pump about every 3-4 hours in the day, but I would only get up once in the night to feed and/or pump.   By about six months, I was pumping less often, but I could get up to 10 oz in a session.  When I went back to work at about 6 months, things got tough, because I felt like so much of my day went into milk production.  I was spending a half hour twice a day pumping at work, I was always up 30-60 minutes later than my husband pumping milk before I went to bed.  (This was partly my own fault as I just always hated pumping two sides at once.  I know it's efficient, but I was just never comfortable doing two at once.  I'm weird.)  Now, at nine months, we're getting close to packing up the milk shop.  Miles doesn't always have the patience to nurse, I'm barely making any milk....I feed him once in the morning, maybe once in the evening, and I pump once before bed, for about 30 minutes.  I got 5 oz last night, after a feed and then 35 mins of pumping.

All in all, my feelings about pumping are conflicted.  I wouldn't have BFd nearly as long as I did without pumping.  I needed DH to get up and give Miles a bottle in the middle of the night sometimes, and it just made me feel more "normal" to have some flexibility in feeding.  However, I've always disliked the actual pumping part.  It feels weird and it takes a lot of time.  A necessary evil, I'd say.

Good luck!

• 1.) How often do/did you pump (per day or week)?

I use to pump every night when dd started sttn but then I slowly stopped because I was tired of it. I only pump maybe once every 2 weeks before going to bed.

2.) How many ozs on each side would you get?

about 4.5 oz. but now I only pump every now and then about get about 3.5

3.) How many mins do/did you pump for?

15-20

Susanne Ashby PhotographyBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"