Alabama Babies
Options

Baby sign

Do any of ya'll use baby signs?  When did you start teaching them?  Any book recs? 

Re: Baby sign

• Options
    we of course don't right now, but plan to when LO is born. i haven't really delved into the details, but i know that ANM has classes held regularly, which is prob where i will start. other than that i plan to just research online to get info/find book recs. from what i've heard, it's best to introduce sign as early as possible. at a group mtg i went to, i met a girl that was using sign with her LO to find out when he needed to use the potty, and she was having a lot of success with it. he wasn't even a yr old, and was almost potty trained. and she started with him when he was about 3 mo. i know that probably wasn't helpful, sry!
  • Options
    I didn't realize ANM had classes...I'll have to check into it.  I guess I'd better start soon since Aubrey is 4 and a half months old. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We don't have books, but have the Baby Einstein baby signs video and I like it.  I don't plan on using a ton of signs as I think it can sometimes interfere with speech, but we do plan on teaching a handful of words.  Payton just looks at me like I'm crazy right now and sometimes laughs at me.
  • Options

The daycare that Lyla and Avery go to teaches sign language beginning at 6mos I believe. I don't think I would have taught her myself but it was a great communication tool before she could speak!! I loved it.

Her most common signs were: more, all done, please, and thank you. She is still learning more but now she speaks, of course. She knows a ton but uses them mostly at school. Sometimes she will be singing me a song from school and do the signs to go along. It's really neat.

DD born 8/24/07
    TTC #2 since 4/09
    Unexplained Secondary IF
    4 failed rounds of clomid ~ 4 failed IUIs ~ 1 m/c
    2/3/11: IUI #5 - Femara/Follistim/Ovidrel/Crinone = BFP (2/14)!!!
    Beta #1 (12dpiui): 53 Beta #2 (14dpiui): 203 Beta #3 (20dpiui): 3932 Beta #4 (28dpiui): 60,775
    1st U/S (3/3): 2 sacs & yolks 2nd U/S (3/8) 2 heartbeats-TWINS!
    Baby A:6w6d HR 131 Baby B:6w4d HR 124
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    TWINS!! EDD 10/25/2011
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I forgot to add that her school chooses 4 or 5 signs to work on at a time. They use flash cards and repetition. At some point it just clicks. I love when they used to send home the flash cards and she could show us the new signs she had learned.
    DD born 8/24/07
    TTC #2 since 4/09
    Unexplained Secondary IF
    4 failed rounds of clomid ~ 4 failed IUIs ~ 1 m/c
    2/3/11: IUI #5 - Femara/Follistim/Ovidrel/Crinone = BFP (2/14)!!!
    Beta #1 (12dpiui): 53 Beta #2 (14dpiui): 203 Beta #3 (20dpiui): 3932 Beta #4 (28dpiui): 60,775
    1st U/S (3/3): 2 sacs & yolks 2nd U/S (3/8) 2 heartbeats-TWINS!
    Baby A:6w6d HR 131 Baby B:6w4d HR 124
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    TWINS!! EDD 10/25/2011
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I have seriously considered using them but, as a special education teacher, I wonder about its impact on speech as well...I mean, I teach simple signs to my students who are nonverbal but I wonder what the effects of teaching a child with normal development could be...anyone have info about long term?
  • Options
    I never thought about it affecting their language skills...hmm it would be interesting to know about long term. 
  • Options

We tried the baby signs with Robinson, but he was just not interested in learning them at all...he would look at us like we were crazy and just go and get whatever he needed himself.

Our pediatrician is not a fan of signs and thinks it does intefere with speech, however, she says that is strictly her opinion and thought and has no scientific evidence, etc. 

• Options

We do baby signs and it has not slowed down her talking at all.  Now, she does the sign and says the word at the same time.  She picks up signs so quickly now that it's amazing.  She loves learning a new sign and will show it to me all the time (and say the word as well).  Honestly, I think it's increased her vocabulary.

ETA:  We use a program called "Baby Signs"...it's got 2 DVD's (one for parents and one for kids), a small flip chart that can hang on the fridge and 4 board books that have pictures and the most popular signs.  I got it at B&N.  DD loves watching the DVD...it's a good 30 min. distraction for her...she loves the characters and learned all the signs from that very quickly.

• Options

Same as Lindsey - Day care started around 6 months - mostly when they were eating for "more" and "all done".

Avery doesn't sign much yet - and she isn't talking much either.  

• Options
    There is nothing cuter than a baby signing "more" or "all done!"
  • Options
    imagesoon2Bmrs.AGEE:

The daycare that Lyla and Avery go to teaches sign language beginning at 6mos I believe. I don't think I would have taught her myself but it was a great communication tool before she could speak!! I loved it.

Her most common signs were: more, all done, please, and thank you. She is still learning more but now she speaks, of course. She knows a ton but uses them mostly at school. Sometimes she will be singing me a song from school and do the signs to go along. It's really neat.

I'll probably teach the baby some signs.  My cousin learned some of these same signs, including milk.  It did take him a little longer to speak up, not speak.  He knew how, he just wouldn't want to be heard.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"