Nurseries and Baby Gear
Options

Avent vs. Dr. Browns Bottles

Which do you prefer?  Was thinking about registering for Avent, but heard they leak.  Also do you prefer BPA free plastic bottles or glass.  thanks!
Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Avent vs. Dr. Browns Bottles

• Options
    With my niece she started out on normal bottles.  Got horrible gas pains and upset stomach to the point she would cry and cry.  The pedi told us about Dr. Browns because of the tube inside the bottle.  It worked wonders for her!  Plus you can see all the bubbles that the tube traps inside it after they are done drinking it was amazing how much of the air bubbles and mess it would trap inside the tube.  I plan on using these right away with my own because I saw how well they did with my niece.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers imageLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT GET AVENT BOTTLES. I have Born-Free bottles and LOVE them. However, I watch my niece 3 days a week and she uses Avent bottles and EVERY bottle I have ever made for her (3 a day) leak. I have had to change her clothes every day because of this.

I have begged my SIL to change out her bottles, but she doesn't want to spend the money when she will only be on the bottle for 6 more months (can't blame her).
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I disagree with the PP. Avent bottles only leak when you do not put them together properly. Does it require extra screwing and readjustments? Yes. But if the nipple isnt inserted correctly and you do not screw the white piece on right, IT WILL LEAK.

As far as Dr Browns vs Avent, I think every baby takes to bottles differently. If I were you, I would register for a few different bottles to see which one your LO prefers. I registered for a big batch of Dr Browns bottles and my LO HATED them. I now use Avent and do not have gas, leaking problems, or a fussy baby while eating.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thanks for the input.  I appreciate it.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My niece uses the Avent bottles and I can't stand them because of the leaking. However, I've found that they only really leak because of being too tightened. So before I start feeding her, I tilt the bottle sideways over the sink and roll it in a circle to make sure it won't leak. If it leaks, I take the lid off and re-tighten it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Hands-down Dr. Browns.  I also prefer the plastic because now that DD helps feed herself, many a bottle has been dropped onto the hardwoods.  The plastic doesn't break and it doesn't damage the floor when it hits.

PP made a good point...don't invest in too many bottles as some babies do not "take" to every bottle they are offered.

• Options
    We used both without any problems.  I agree with pp about seeing what your lo likes.  One of the advantages to the avent bottles is there aren't alot of pieces to wash - nipple, ring, and bottle.  There are five pieces to the dr. brown's bottle - nipple, ring, inside ring, long tube in the center, and the bottle.  Definitely something to consider.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"