North Dakota Babies

U/S Question

Many of you when you go for your u/s you take someone with you.  DH has came with me for my first two.

I was just wondering if they go in right away with you?  The first one I had was at 6 and a half weeks to make sure there was still a baby, and the u/s tech wouldn't let DH in until afterwards.  She told me when I was by myself that there was a heartbeat, I kind of wanted both of us to hear it at the same time.  I was a little disappointed because what if she couldn't find the heart beat, she would have to get DH in there to tell us both since I would have lost it.  Or would she have just told me and DH never seen what would have been our LO.

I have my 18 week u/s tomorrow, and I am debating just bringing DH in right at the start so he can get to see the baby the extra time too.  I left him out till the end last time, so he seen it for like 5-10 minutes, and I had an extra half an hour when they were measuring.

A & T Since 2009 Parents of A born July 2010

Re: U/S Question

• Brian comes right back with me.  I don't see any reason for him not to.
  • DH always goes back with me as soon as they call me in.  Honestly, I would be really, really angry if they didn't allow him to.  I'm mad for you that they didn't allow your DH in for your 6 weeks u/s.  This is DH's baby as much as it is mine, & I think that he should be able to experience all of these moments with me.  If there were ever a situation where we got bad news, I would want DH right there with me to hear it together so we could be there to support each other.  I would definitely insist that they allow DH back at your appt tomorrow!  
  • Loading the player...
  • I have never heard of anything like this.  DH went with me from the very beginning too.  Have you spoken to your office about it and their reasoning behind it? 
  • Jared has always gone in with me to every appointment.  I can't believe they wouldn't let your DH!  That makes me mad for you.
  • I went into a really early u/s when I was pregnant with Rowen and they wouldn't let Chris in at all.  We had to do all of our u/s at the hospital and it was just their policy.  With this one they have let Rowen in with no questions.  I think it just depends on their procedures, but I would ask them about it if you are wondering.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • My "big" ultrasound, the tech said that Jeff had to wait in the lobby for the first part of it.  It was overall a pretty disappointing experience.  She wanted to make sure that she could go through and get all her measurements, etc without having to stop a bunch of times and explain what things were.  She didn't even turn on the screen for me to see.  It was really upsetting.  We got to see the baby at the end for just a few minutes.
  • imageWendells:
    My "big" ultrasound, the tech said that Jeff had to wait in the lobby for the first part of it.  It was overall a pretty disappointing experience.  She wanted to make sure that she could go through and get all her measurements, etc without having to stop a bunch of times and explain what things were.  She didn't even turn on the screen for me to see.  It was really upsetting.  We got to see the baby at the end for just a few minutes.

Agree with Wendy!

IDK, maybe it's different policy here in Canada in general? I seem to recall support people waiting and being called in after..

I'm thinking to my big U/S and how it's standard for you to go in alone so the tech can concentrate on the accurate scanning and measurements. I don't recall those first U/S though because with my final pregnancy I would go to my appointments solo and then meet with dh and the LO's for lunch.  They also typically DO NOT tell you gender as a rule but can make a note of it and then your dr can reveal this at your next appointment. 

FWIW, loads of people like to go to a place like UC baby to make a thing out of the whole 'see the baby' experience to add some fun factor.

• For mine, DH was there the whole time.  She explained everything she was measuring to us as she was going through.  The follow up one after that, we were supposed to be finding out if she was growing enough, and I was really worried about getting bad news.  DH couldn't come so I brought BFF and they had no problem with her being there the whole time either.  In fact, she arrived late, and they showed her back after the tech had started.  I would have been kinda upset if I had to be by myself (and not by my choice).  I would definitely ask them about it!
  • imageCanadianBride84:

Many of you when you go for your u/s you take someone with you.  DH has came with me for my first two.

I was just wondering if they go in right away with you?  The first one I had was at 6 and a half weeks to make sure there was still a baby, and the u/s tech wouldn't let DH in until afterwards.  She told me when I was by myself that there was a heartbeat, I kind of wanted both of us to hear it at the same time.  I was a little disappointed because what if she couldn't find the heart beat, she would have to get DH in there to tell us both since I would have lost it.  Or would she have just told me and DH never seen what would have been our LO.

I have my 18 week u/s tomorrow, and I am debating just bringing DH in right at the start so he can get to see the baby the extra time too.  I left him out till the end last time, so he seen it for like 5-10 minutes, and I had an extra half an hour when they were measuring.

I think that I know the reasoning behind them not letting your DH in.  When I would go to the doctor bleeding, they would not let my mom in the room with me.  This was because if something was wrong then the next step was to ask you about a history of abuse that could have caused a miscarriage.  My parents inquired about this at the doctor's office and my aunt, who is a nurse, also verified it.

If you are having a smooth sailing pregnancy then DH can go in with you all that he wants.

• Timm has been with me for everything.  He hasn't had to wait outside for me ever.  It is interesting to see the different policies everyone has...esp between me and Wendy since we have the same insurance but go to different hospitals.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"