Washington Babies

Home Question/Opinion

Alright, we are new to this and I want an unbiased opinion. We went house hunting today and looked at some houses and some condos. We are down to 2 places that we found today that we can really see ourselves in. We are trying to be smart about this and look at all options but DH and I are butting heads a bit. So I need some opinions from outsiders. 

Option 1) Condo in Des Moines. Located on Cul De Sac, only residents go down the road cause there is nothing else there. LOTS of storage, gorgeous kitchen, about 10minutes from where we are at now so it doesn't add much time to DH's commute. Washer and dryer stay; they even have a little utility room in the unit. Patio storage BUT there is an enclosed deck because of the way the building is. It is technically ground floor but since it's built on a hill, right below the unit is more parking.

Option 2) Town house style home in Auburn. It is somewhat close to the river BUT if the river does flood, it would go to the east side and the home is on the west side. A little dated but HUGE! It even has a one car garage, a carport, more driveway, front yard and backyard area. It's all fenced in so there would be room for Carter to run and play and maybe even have a dog.

Both are turn key. In Auburn we would ideally update appliances over the next couple of years, paint, and strip the wall paper which is all stuff we enjoy doing so we don't see it as a downside. I know which one I want but I can't get DH on my side. So: Mommy's and homeowners....which one should we go for? We can always look more but for what we want and where we want it, our Realtor (who is family) says we should jump on one of these 2 sooner than later. Opinions?

Thanks!

Re: Home Question/Opinion

• Personally I would go with the townhouse. As you LO gets older you will appreciate the extra space to store things and/or parking in the garage. Its nice to be able to pack up the car to go without having to go outside. Also, being able to go outside is awesome. One thing I look forward to is being able to send Cambryn to play in the backyard and not have to worry too much about her since its all fenced in. Its also fun to be able to update things in the style/timeline that works for you!
  • As someone who has a townhome with a tiny yard and no fence option 2 sounds the best. Something to consider is flood insurance might be mandatory w/ that option. Something to look into because it is expensive. Oh also would love a garage. =) Good luck with your decision.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I would personally go with the townhouse too.  Youre really going to appreciate a yard as your lo gets older.   Plus if Cash For Calkers goes through you should be able to update your appliances and get 50% back in your taxes. (fingers crossed for cash for calkers!!)

imageimageLilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers image . Ice Ice Binky Formerly FutureMrsLynch
  • We would definately get flood insurance, there is no question about it. We have actually been pricing everything out tonight and with insurance for #2 it would essentially be the same as #1 with HOA Dues but #2 has alot more space and so much more that we can do with it. I think you can kind of see where I'm leaning towards Wink
  • If you dont mind me asking, what is your price range??  I live in a new build neighborhood in the Lake Sawyer area (kent) and the prices on houses in this area are SO LOW right now!
    imageimageLilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers image . Ice Ice Binky Formerly FutureMrsLynch
  • Go for Townhouse!! Use whatever you have to, to get your Hubs on board!
  • My vote would be option 2 as well.  You don't want to move into some place and realize that you have already outgrown it within a year.  More space is great, and when you do the renovations you will have complete control.  And the yard is a huge thing!
  • imageitskacie:
    Personally I would go with the townhouse. As you LO gets older you will appreciate the extra space to store things and/or parking in the garage. Its nice to be able to pack up the car to go without having to go outside. Also, being able to go outside is awesome. One thing I look forward to is being able to send Cambryn to play in the backyard and not have to worry too much about her since its all fenced in. Its also fun to be able to update things in the style/timeline that works for you!
    I totally agree!
  • Is this your first time out and looking?  

• Lynchie: Our max that we are comfy with is 140k. We could go more but we don't want to if we can avoid it.

It is our fist time going out but we did see around 20 homes and have been looking online for about 3 months. We don't want to make the wrong choice but the home in Auburn had similar ones on the market that only lasted days and were more expensive so we know this won't last. I guess we need to really decide if we go for it or take our chances looking elsewhere.

• I would only buy if you can see yourself living there happily for at least 5 years.  At least 7 would be even better.

I actually think I might have to choose the condo because I hate commuting.  I wouldn't want to make my commute any longer than I had to.

• Also make sure you check the specs of the neighborhood!  and do lots of drive bys at all times of the day and night to make sure you're not getting into a bad neighborhood...  look for things like if people have chainlink fences around their front yards, or bars on low to ground windows.  Then more obvious things like junker cars and shady alley ways.

• There is a difference between looking on line and seeing a home you and your family will love. If we lived in the first home DH and I saw and fell in love with we would have been miserable. We wanted to make an immediate offer full price but when we went to bid on it, it was gone. We were sad but 20/20 hindsight, where we are (edmonds vs. southcenter) is so much better for us. In the two options you give, I'd take the townhouse. I am all about space. The right house will come along but both you guys need to be on board. House hunting  takes a lot of negotiation. 

Good luck. Home buying is hard! 

• and look into the schools!!
  • We can see ourselves there in 5-7 years but I just don't know if I can see us in the condo with that time frame. It's so difficult! The location isn't bad at all, we ran a check for crimes in the surrounding area and know that area pretty well. The biggest thing has to be commute since DH works up by Lake Union. I think we need to sleep on it and see how we feel in the morning. Thanks for the advice ladies I really appreciate it!
  • Auburn to Lake Union would kill me.   Seriously.  That's a long commute unless he can work off hours to miss the bad times.   Or take light rail?  Can he do that?  I would want a commute where he could be home every niht (or most) for dinner.

I agree with someone above (Lynchie maybe?) that said don't jump on the first thing you see... You'll find something perfect for you.

• Are you looking north at all?  That's a heck of a commute to lock yourself into, particularly with a young child at home.  More time on the road and at the job than ever with the family.  If you looked north, you could avoid the downtown jam.

I think the townhome sounds good for backyard and size, but not for the updates.  if you're struggling to get into a home at this point, i don't think you can count on replacing appliances and updating fixtures/rooms in the next few years.  But perhaps you could you roll in some cash back into your home loan and do it before you're moved in and settled?  Before baby starts moving.  

After three years TTC, four IUI's plus 2 cancelled, MFI (morph, motility, count), maternal age (40 as of 5/12) & former endo, we're moving to IVF spring 2012 (good/avg AMH and FSH). We did beat the odds once, however. DD born after 2 years TTC with clomid and no monitoring at my age 35. Doctors are SHOCKED we were able to conceive. Here's hoping for another miracle.
  • I know that I'm a little late on responding to this, but hopefully you will still get this.  I vote for option #2 hands down for reason of the extra space, yard, and garage.  However, I did want to point out that you should not feel rushed at all right now to make an offer on anything.  The market right now is still a buyers market, there is TONS out there, and you have time to find what's perfect for you.  Your real estate agent may be telling you to jump on one of those homes because she/he is motivated by making a sale since the market is slower than usual right now, and RE agents aren't closing as many sales as they have been in the past.  Don't make any quick decisions (which it doesn't sound like you are doing), and wait until you both feel you have found the place that is right for you.  You are buying at such a great time right now because there is so much up for sale at much lower prices than a few years ago.  Just my 2 cents.  Good luck in your decision!
  • Oh that commute is HELL!!  I made the commute from black diamond to northgate for a few months and was miserable!!  When we bought our house I thought I wouldnt mind the commute, but it was honestly the worst decision.   On a good day I could get there in an hour and a half, on bad days it would take me 3 hours to either get to work or get home.   It was completely miserable.   This changes my opinion, I think you should look elsewhere a little closer to your dh's work. 
  • I'd even look on the east side... that would be a better commute than from Auburn...   I just found this one in Kirkland:

https://www.redfin.com/WA/Kirkland/13025-102nd-Ln-NE-98034/unit-2/home/21768241

• I would lean toward #2 for the space and the yard, but that would be a rough commute for your DH.  I agree with PP about looking into the schools in both areas as well.
  • You can take the train from Auburn to pioneer square in about 30 mins, it even has wifi. I had a co-worker who did the same, only she was coming from Everett. She gave it a thumbs up.

https://www.soundtransit.org/Riding-Sound-Transit/Schedules-and-Facilities/Sounder-Commuter-Rail.xml

• You ladies are awesome! We are going to wait and see for a bit. If we did do the Auburn one, DH would take the train. He gets extremely discounted rates through his work so it costs near nothing for his flex pass. He did do a commute from South Federal Way before and he said he was fine with it. We are going to talk more today and see where the day leads us. Thanks sooo much for your input and opinions!
  • If you both don't agree then they both are the wrong home. Keep looking and you will find something better that makes both of you feel like it is the right place for your family.
    Mama to Z - 5.5 years, G - 3.5 years, & M - 1.5 years.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"