High-Risk Pregnancy

I have to take Prednisone ...

I have flare up of IBD and have to take prednisone 40mg daily for now. Anybody has experience with that during pregnancy? The risks are mostly unknown or low. But too much conflicting info on net. thx.

Re: I have to take Prednisone ...

• I took it for a different reason (swine flu w/my asthma). The dr. joked that maybe it would mature her lungs a little faster since it's a steroid...oh, and she might be a little hair-ier than usual (but she said that was unlikely that far out...I was 18wks). Little did she know that I make hairy babies anyway!

The benefit of taking it outweighed the risk for me. My lung status was pretty tenuous so the Prednisone was pretty necessary. I took the same dose that they prescribed for you (40mg).

• imageAliBride2006:

I took it for a different reason (swine flu w/my asthma). The dr. joked that maybe it would mature her lungs a little faster since it's a steroid...oh, and she might be a little hair-ier than usual (but she said that was unlikely that far out...I was 18wks). Little did she know that I make hairy babies anyway!

The benefit of taking it outweighed the risk for me. My lung status was pretty tenuous so the Prednisone was pretty necessary. I took the same dose that they prescribed for you (40mg).

Same - I was 3rd tri with piggy flu + asthma. No harm - Sean is just fine!

~*~Meghann~*~ Type 1, insulin dependant diabetic for 11 years using a pump and sensor. wedding countdown Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I was taking a high dose during my 1st pg.  I have low platelets and started the meds at about 26wks until after delivery.  My son was born 3 weeks early and was a 7lb 10oz healthy baby.  I will have to be put on it again this pregnancy but im not worried since things worked out good before.  The worst part is the weight gain and mood swings!! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"