New Jersey Babies
Options

midwives & waterbirths in Jackson/Howell/Freehold?

Hi all!  Quick intro, I've been married for 9 months and DH and I are thrilled to be expecting our first baby this fall.  I got my BFP on Valentine's Day and am currently about 6 weeks along but will get a more accurate due date (maybe?) at my first doctor's appointment this Wednesday.

Since I'm a first-time mom I'm interested in learning about many different birth plans.  I know there are no birthing centers in NJ but I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for midwives in the Jackson/Howell/Freehold area, both those that deliver in hospitals and those who assist in births at home?

Also, waterbirths are very appealing to me, but I only know of Hackettstown as a hospital where that would be an option.  Are there any other hospitals like this closer to my area?

Thanks in advance!

Re: midwives & waterbirths in Jackson/Howell/Freehold?

• Options

Elmer hospital in South Jersey will do waterbirths.  You could try midwife Patty Madden there. 

Monmouth Medical Center will allow you to rent a tub and bring it in for a water birth.  You could try Dr Giovine there or the Avon midwives.  The Avon midwives also deliver at Jersey Shore (which I think they might prefer but I'm not positive!).  Avon midwives have a great reputation.

At Capital health in Trenton, you can labor in the water but you can't birth in the tub.  They have great midwives there like Louise Aucott and Pam Rosser (Midwifery Care Associates).  They do home and hospital births.

I believe Linda McHale is in Lakewood.  She is another homebirth midwife.

All homebirth midwives in NJ are required to have doctor back up so you will know where to go and who your doctor will be should you have an emergency. 

Do NOT go to CentraState.  They have an insanely high csection rate there.

Kimball Medical Center has the lowest c-section rate in the state.  They have a midwifery/doctor group there.  The group caters to the Orthodox Jewish population in Lakewood.  I'm not sure about water options there though.

Good luck to you!!!  And good for you looking into your options!  NJ has the highest cesarean rate in the country.

R & R: est 2003 LOs: 4/2005, 10/2007, 2/2011 Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Thanks very much for your reply =)  And thanks for the warning about CentraState... my OBGYN is affiliated with them so I was wondering if I would be pressured into delivering there (if I didn't go the midwife route).
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Check in www.icanofnj.com for stats on all the area hospitals.  Unfortunately, there isn't data about individual practices and doctors but at least you can get an idea about how each hospital operates.  :)
    R & R: est 2003 LOs: 4/2005, 10/2007, 2/2011 Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"