Pregnant after 35

work dilemma

So, I was reading the earlier post about last day of work, and started thinking (well, been thinking a lot about it) about my work scenario.  I am a teacher.  I am due Sept. 17.  School starts right after labor day (not mine, the actual Labor Day!)  I'm relieved to (basically) not have to work the last 3 months of my pregnancy, however...Maybe I will need to/should work the first week of school or so, or at least plan on it then see what happens. 

Then there's the issue of planning for a sub for those 2-3 months...will be pretty hard to get anyone to commit, since they will be trying to get a full time job until the last minute (which may not be an issue, which could present another issue!)  If the RIF's happen this spring, as they are expected to, some of the laid off teachers who don't get hired back, may be first in line for my long term sub job.  So then again, won't get to pick my sub.

It hurts my head just thinking about this! I am a little anal when it comes to my class and it's going to be hard enough giving them up for a couple of months.  I guess I just need to relax and let the chips fall where they may. I'm not very good at that!

Re: work dilemma

• Well, relaxing is always a good idea. I'm getting materials ready for a sub right now and my assistant principal just took a major load off my back by telling me that I don't have to plan any lessons but that my level leaders (teach two levels) would do it.  I still made an outline of what's going to happen so the sub won't be completely lost though.  Hopefully, the same will happen for you so you won't have to worry about it as much.  You never know what might happen between now and then.  If you express that you need help or guidance about what to do, someone might help you.  Not only that, sometimes things just work out.  It's way too early for you to worry right now. Just enjoy your pregnancy!  Wink
    ~ Married 14 years and counting ~
    Chandler 11/2000 ~ Bronwyn 6/2002 ~ Grayson 3/2010 ~ Matilda/Till 6/2012
    IAmPregnant Ticker
    BFP 10/20/11 ::sticky dust::
    BFP 9/11/11 - m/c 9/25/11 5w5d
  • Yeah, I'm feeling your pain.  I'm due April 19th and will be taking the remainder of the year off.  Two good notes, I have a partner teacher situation so the crunch is finding a decent long term sub and we're talking with other teachers that have taken maternity leave.  I hopefully will be able to come in after Spring Break ends on April 12th to help the sub and kids acclimate to the change. 

I'm more concerned for my partner teacher, this has been a "rough" year in the way of students and I've expressed my concerns to administration (I don't want to see her in a straight jacket at the end of the year). 

I also have the issue of being able to start back late (will have two weeks remaining on mat leave when the school year starts).  My partner recomended that I come in the first two days for a few hours to meet the new children (will need to arrange child care for that) otherwise I'm trying to let go and not worry about planning.  Best wishes to you! 

• Loading the player...
  • I am a little confused ... Do you not get a whole year off?

Maybe it is different in Canada, but we are entitled to 52 weeks off, so this isn't even a concern for me.

As I am due on September 26, I have decided not to go back in September and begin my Maternity Leave.  I am hoping that this will ease the confusion for the students, as I think it would be difficult for them to have me for a couple of weeks, then be introduced to someone new.

How far in advance do you have to decide?  (ie: can you wait until August to see how you are coping?)

Best wishes for whatever you decide!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Wow!  that's quite the news about Canada! 

I'm getting 12 weeks of paid leave and that's better than most of my friends who work in the business sector

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"