Washington Babies
Options

How often to pump?

This might be a dumb question....  I was pumping every 2-3 hours when DS wouldn't nurse, but now that he's BFing, how often should I pump?
Welcome to the world Finley Michael - born 2/13/2010 Lilypie Third Birthday tickers pregnancy
Baby Sister is coming soon!

Re: How often to pump?

• Options

Depends on what your reason for pumping is.  Do you need to increase supply?  Or are you trying to build a stash, etc? 

When I was building a stash I would just pump once a day when I was fullest.    When I needed to build supply I pumped after every feeding.   When I was back at work and pumping I pumped every 2-3 hours.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Ditto what pp said.  When Court was one or two months old I would try to pump after feeding (or within an hour afterwards) to try to increase my milk supply.  Now I'm concentrating more on building up the stash and pump once before I go to bed.  That's usually three hours after DS goes to bed, and I normally get 3-4 oz.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I never had much luck with my supply, so I can't be too much help.  But  FWIW, I've read from multiple sources that pumping in the morning yields more than later in the day/night.  So if what you're doing is trying to build a stash, that may be more efficient.  
  • Options
    If you feel like you and DS are in a groove and well-established you don't have to pump at all if you don't want to. If you want to try to keep your supply up or build a stash, I totally agree with pp.
    Photo by J. Shelton Photography
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageMy Blog
  • Options
    now that we're bfing full time i don't pump.  i have some stash from the beginning when i was pumping all the time, but i usually just give him a bottle of formula if i am gone for a short time like out to dinner.  i like to keep him flexible so i dont have to freak out abt havibng eough in the freezer.  and i seriously HATE pumping so i just dont :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"