High-Risk Pregnancy

Newbie Question About GD

Hey Girls,

I used to be a Nestie who hasn't been on for a while but got intrigued while reading this board.  I have a couple of questions that I thought you all may be able to help with.  My husband and I are going to start TTC in the next few months and I have been diagnosed with Pre-Diabetes.  My fasting # was 101 and my 2 hr # was 147.  However, I have seen numbers higher than that doing my own testing.  I think the highest was 160.  Usually my AM numbers are around 95.  I can't seem to get the AM numbers lower than that no matter what I eat.

My question is, have any of you experienced this prior to pregnancy, and if so, what happened after you got pregnant?  Also, what are the numbers that they look for to diagnose you officially with GD?  My gyno is being very vague about this.  I feel like I'm working myself up about this so much now I can't imagine what it will be like when I actually do get pregnant.  It's like it's deterring me from even wanting to try...

Any advice would be so appreciated!

DSC_0263

Re: Newbie Question About GD

• This is my situation.  Before pregnancy, I had elevated fasting numbers - usually around 105.  At my first OB appointment, I was put on the GD diet, given a meter, and told to test 4 times a day.  After two weeks, my numbers were so good I was allowed to only test 2 times a day.  Then, at 12 weeks, I switched doctors (loved my old doctor - but the commute was killer) and that doctor told me my numbers were really good - and to just test 2 times a day, 3 days per week. 

He said we are basically looking for a trend of rising numbers - and that can be caught w/less testing. 

So - that is what I am doing.  Right now - w/diet control - my numbers are not even at a pre-diabetic level anymore.  So it's really just a wait and see game.  Hopefully I will be diet controlled the whole pregnancy - but I do know there is a chance that as the hormones rise I may need medication.  It's really just a wait and see game.

I hope that helps.  I would just push your provider to tell you if they plan on you testing from the beginning and if so - how often.  But honestly - the diet has made me feel better than I have in a while.  I have more energy and I do think it is because I have better blood sugar control.

Good luck!!!  And let me know if you have any other questions...

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"