High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

gd: can someone explain the whole 'net carb' idea

alot of products marketed as 'low carb' use this term.  does it really only impact you sugar the amt of 'net carbs' or do you find you should factor the whole carb count in, kwim. 

i get the whole subtract fiber idea but i just dont see it really working as far as my sensitive blood glucose levels.

Re: gd: can someone explain the whole 'net carb' idea

• Options

my dietician said to factor in all of the carbs.

Some high fiber counts may slow the absorption but you need to keep in mind all of the carb in your food.

::Blog:: ::NOTD Schedule::
    ::GP Nesties FAQ:: ::My BFP Chart::

2012 Reading Challenge

2012 Reading Challenge
    Sarah has read 0 books toward a goal of 50 books.
    hide
    "I won't sugarcoat the truth just so you can swallow it without the pain"
  • Options
    I have type 1 diabetes, so I don't know if it is the same as with GD, but I was taught to subtract fiber if it was 5g or greater.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I always subtract the fiber because it is undigestable by your body regardless of whether it is 1g or 7g.

The rest of the ones that they subtract are usually sugar alcohols and they seem to have a lesser effect on blood sugar immediately and the affect they do have is spread out over a longer period of time. I usually just keep in mind that it won't affect me quite as much. 

• Options
    When I went for my diabetic counseling class I was told that if the fiber is above 5 g then you can take 1/2 of that and subtract it from the carbs.  Most of the time though I don't even think about checking that and just count whatever the package says for carbs.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"