Stay at Home Moms

maybe I belong on a different planet

Or in a bubble.  Or maybe I need to seriously reassess my view points. 

I know I am in the minority on a lot of things.  I always have been.  Usually I am comfortable in my different thoughts and views and can even be kind of snooty about it.

But lately, I have been so depressed and annoyed by the outside world.  I felt ill after spending time with the fakeness and smoke blowing at the enterprise car rental place the other day.

Today, I took DD out with my cousin and her DS.  We went to lunch then ended up at the mall, specifically the play area.  

I am a germaphobe.  I am a homebody.  I am a cynic.  I am antisocial to an extent.  And I just MAY be a helicopter mom when out in public.  I watch myself in comparison to others (talking parents now) in public, and I am the minority...regarding like...everything.  And most of me doesn't think I am the one that is wrong.  LOL.  Maybe that is my ego. I guess it isn't about right/wrong but what "works for us" - but I am thinking maybe I am delusional and what I think is working so well isn't really what is best.  I don't know.

This is just my bi-weekly bump therapy session.  I don't know my question nor do I fully understand my feelings right now.  So, I just needed to vent.

If you actually read this, you can just add it to the susanmosley is crazy file and move on OR if you have some wonderful insight that will recreate my interest in and compassion for human nature and society, feel free to give it a shot....cause right now, I just kind of think that everyone sucks and that DD has to grow up in a world with a bunch of idiots. 

Except, of course, the ladies on this board.

I may delete this later because I have a feeling I will reread and wonder what the hell I am talking about =) 

Re: maybe I belong on a different planet

• Just wanted to say I understand and agree with you on a lot of those  thoughts.  That may or may not make you feel better.  Ha ha.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • See I dunno I guess i see it differently-

I really don't think anything that you describe could be a majority or a minority. Just a different opinion. Same thing about the homebody/antisocial. I wouldn't say that the majority of the world is outgoing and extroverts.

I personally wouldn't call myself a 'germaphobe' and I would never consider myself in the 'majority'-- I guess i just think of it as your favority color is red, mine is blue. - no right or wrong. Just differing opinions. You aren't wrong

As for your/my DD growing up in a world with idiots. Well- yes a lot of people are. I will give ya that. But there are also a lot of really great, kind, caring people who are free thinkers and accepting of differences of all kinds-

I guess i view the issue as- for every bad apple there is in this world there are ten great apples. People just don't talk about the good. It doesn't make the evening news like it should. Acts of kindness and such can be VERY contagious.

I am not trying to be all 'Pollyanna' on you- not at all. I just think that there are times where we as humans focus too much on the negative/bad stuff that the really positive things that are going on- just get overlooked because we are so conditioned on focusing on the negative.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imagesusanmosley:

I am a germaphobe.  I am a homebody.  I am a cynic.  I am antisocial to an extent.  And I just MAY be a helicopter mom when out in public.  I watch myself in comparison to others (talking parents now) in public, and I am the minority...regarding like...everything.  And most of me doesn't think I am the one that is wrong.  LOL.  Maybe that is my ego. I guess it isn't about right/wrong but what "works for us" - but I am thinking maybe I am delusional and what I think is working so well isn't really what is best.  I don't know.

HA! I could have written this.  It does get old feeling like the only one that is this way, but I'm not going to change because it is what works for me/us. 

We don't go to the mall play area because the germs really, really gross me out. I keep saying that once my son is older and he will keep his hands out of his face and will wash his hands immediately after playing then I might take him, but who knows if I really will. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • This may sound dumb but I enjoyed reading your piece and just wanted to say ::hugs:: =D
  • Ditto MrsPreK- I always enjoy reading your insightful posts.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Do you ever feel becoming a parent has brought out your insecurities... I know I have!!!  :)

And for the record, I find you to be sincere and honest, yet kind and empathetic to a board of COMPLETE strangers... I find you refreshing, not crazy!

eclaire 9.10.06  diggy 6.2.11

• I am so glad you feel awkward with other parents at a playground.  I feel like sometimes I'm the only one that cares that DD has manners and is considerate of others.  One of my good friends has an 19 month old who was climbing UP the slide.  Instead of telling him to stop her response to me was "yeah I have that kid".  I wanted to remind her that she has the power to change that...

I love her to death but I just don't get it.  I'm sure she thinks I'm like white on rice with Parker and Rowan, but I don't care.  

I think it's great you know who you are and aren't afraid to admit your less-than-appealing-to-others characteristics.  I'm a truth-teller to a fault a lot of the time because I can be so brutally honest.  But I pride myself on it.  You probably do belong on a different planet, but I guess so do I!

• Wow, thanks guys.  Way to boost my ego on a night that I feel blah and uncertain.  

Stacy - it is nice (and needed) to be reminded of the positive side.  But at this time, I am sadly not sure you are right. =)  I really think there may be more crappy people than quality people out there OR I am being really judgmental.  Either of which is not a good thing.  

ToBeMrsT and ToBeMrsShavers - yeah, I think my insecurity about being irrational about germs was really obvious today.  I have become a germaphobe in my old age - not sure where it came from.  My dad is quite the opposite and I wasn't raised this way.  Deep down, I think I am probably in the wrong in this department.  But I am a what-if kind of gal, and what if DD sticks her hand in some crazy bacteria while down the way on a slide and then eats it and gets a wacky flesh eating disease because I wasn't watching her?  So I am kind of kidding, but not completely.  lol

parenthood has, I suppose, brought out some new insecurities, but it has also resolved some of my old insecurities...which has been really lovely =)

MrsPreK - not dumb, really nice.  thanks

Thanks, mamatojackson and englishmajor

you people are great.  thanks for being nice 

• I feel this way a lot too.  I had never even heard the term helicopter mom but now I think I am one (if this means hovering near your child as they play).  I often question a lot of what other moms I know accept as normal and then I question myself questioning. 

It sounds like you feel a little alone or isolated.  That is hard.  I know that feeling too.  I was feeling it today actually.  

Bottomline - you were right, it is what "works for you".  If your daughter is healthy and happy, then who gives a rats a*# what other people think or if you are different.  Frankly, I think our kids need role models that don't think the same as everyone else.  It is a refreshing change of pace in my opinion.  Stick with who you are.  Individualism and thinking for yourself is never out of style.  Screw the fembot, robot moms.  :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagelms_bride:

I feel this way a lot too.  I had never even heard the term helicopter mom but now I think I am one (if this means hovering near your child as they play).  I often question a lot of what other moms I know accept as normal and then I question myself questioning. 

That is hard.  I know that feeling too.  I was feeling it today actually.  

Bottomline - you were right, it is what "works for you".  If your daughter is healthy and happy, then who gives a rats a*# what other people think or if you are different.  Frankly, I think our kids need role models that don't think the same as everyone else.  It is a refreshing change of pace in my opinion.  Stick with who you are.  Individualism and thinking for yourself is never out of style.  Screw the fembot, robot moms.  :)

"I often question a lot of what other moms I know accept as normal and then I question myself questioning." - well said.  EXACTLY

"It sounds like you feel a little alone or isolated." - yes! probably so.

"Frankly, I think our kids need role models that don't think the same as everyone else.  It is a refreshing change of pace in my opinion.  Stick with who you are.  Individualism and thinking for yourself is never out of style." - okay, yes!  okay.  thanks.  you are right.  yeah. thanks  

thanks Ims 

• imagesusanmosley:
    imagelms_bride:

I feel this way a lot too.  I had never even heard the term helicopter mom but now I think I am one (if this means hovering near your child as they play).  I often question a lot of what other moms I know accept as normal and then I question myself questioning. 

That is hard.  I know that feeling too.  I was feeling it today actually.  

"I often question a lot of what other moms I know accept as normal and then I question myself questioning." - well said.  EXACTLY

"It sounds like you feel a little alone or isolated." - yes! probably so.

"Frankly, I think our kids need role models that don't think the same as everyone else.  It is a refreshing change of pace in my opinion.  Stick with who you are.  Individualism and thinking for yourself is never out of style." - okay, yes!  okay.  thanks.  you are right.  yeah. thanks  

thanks Ims 

You're welcome!  We all need a virtual hug sometimes. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"