Attachment Parenting
Options

Emotional about weaning....

My son is nowhere near weaning but I don't think my supply is really a ton at this point.  But I can't stop thinking about us not having that relationship anymore.  I know that I probably have to work on replacing it with some other sort of special ritual with him ... those that nursed into toddlerhood - did you have similar feelings?

On a sidenote - I haven't gotten my period since Dec 2007 so I am sort of interested to know if it WILL come back on its own when I fully wean. I sort of thought it would have come back lately since we haven't been nursing AS much.

Re: Emotional about weaning....

• Options

We haven't hit that point yet but I get emotional just thinking about weaning - I think it would be more strange if you didn't have some of those feelings.  I really like the idea of replacing nursing with another special ritual - even if it's something simple like cuddling before bed with a good book.

**hugs**

• Options

We haven't weaned yet either, but I totally understand.  I was asking about weaning at a LLL meeting a few weeks ago because DH would like me to wean and I totally started crying out of nowhere.  I didn't know I was so emotional about it! 

I think the whole AP lifestyle really helps when weaning, because you can still have that special bond through babywearing, or just being more in-tune with your child, you know?

• Loading the player...
  • Options

My ds is the same age and I'm very torn about weaning. I actually continue to take medication in order to keep making milk.  I had to start when ds was 5 months old.  I know that if I stop the meds I'll stop making milk.  A big part of me wants to be done with it.  But each time I decide to stop taking the meds (it has been a few times in the past couple months) I chicken out after a day and start again.  I'm stuck.

ETA: I know I am done with BFing, but it is the only time ds will sit still for a cuddle.  So I'm scared to give that up.  I have a 4.5yo dd who was the same way (I only nursed her for 6 months) and now she'll give me a cuddle whenever I want.  But I don't want to wait until ds is 4 to get my next hug.

• Options
    imagekmgourley:

I think the whole AP lifestyle really helps when weaning, because you can still have that special bond through babywearing, or just being more in-tune with your child, you know?

I agree with this.  DS suddenly stopped nursing for a week a few months back.  Since then he is continuing to nurse in the morning and 1-2 times during the night.  I know these times will be done very, very soon.  When DS stopped suddenly I was an emotional wreck, it was terrible.  Now that we are on a more gradual track I am having a much easier time with the transition.

Since we spend a lot of quality time together I think it will be okay when he is fully weaned.  DS is not much of a cuddler, but I think he might be when he is not such a wiggle worm all the time!  With spring/summer coming up we can do a lot more walking and other activities where I can wear DS which will be helpful too.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I have something you can try to get extra cuddle time with your LO.  I started doing this with my DD a few weeks ago.  She lays on me, stomach to stomach (I am in a reclined comfy position-- in bed or rocking chair).  She is hugging me.  I made up a rhyme with hand motions that I go through-- tickling her back.  She knows all the words and anticipates the tickling motions.  It took about 10 tries for her to 'get used' to it.  Now she climbs on me, snuggles up, and waits for me to start the tickling rhyme game.  Each rhyme last about 45 seconds from start to finish and she will 'ask' me to continue for 20 minutes or so.  It's precious, sweet time together. 

She is not weaned, but I am moving towards it for personal reasons-- I have a love/hate relationship with breastfeeding but I know I will deeply miss it once we are done.  I dread the "last" nursing session-- I will be a mess.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"