Breastfeeding
Options

Pumpers, how many let downs in a pumping session?

If you EP (or pump in general I guess) How many let downs do you have per pumping session?

When I first started pumping I always tried for atleast 2 let downs.  The first one was always the longest, and then I would pump for atleast 5 or so minutes more and usually get 1 more small let down.

Now I've had to start pumping more milk b/c DS is eating more (and I was sick and had a supply drop) and now I get 3 letdowns per session!  This made me so excited.

So I'm wondering, could I maybe have even more let downs if I just keep pumping?  I know the simple answer is to just keep pumping and see what happens  :)  But my nips are sore from all the extra pumping I've been doing to get my supply up and I don't want to try for longer sessions just yet

Anyway, any info would be appreciated!
thanks!

Re: Pumpers, how many let downs in a pumping session?

• Options

I just started pumping yesterday after he feeds, and im not getting Sh!t out of it Crying not even .5 oz a day!  But, i also dont know what "let Downs" mean???

So im curious to find out....What does this mean?? 

• Options
    imageOsment:

I just started pumping yesterday after he feeds, and im not getting Sh!t out of it Crying not even .5 oz a day!  But, i also dont know what "let Downs" mean???

So im curious to find out....What does this mean?? 

A let down is the "milk ejection reflex" - it basically is stimulated by nursing and it feels (to me) like a quick muscle cramp. 

https://family.go.com/parentpedia/baby/breastfeeding-basics_how-to/breastfeeding-let-down-reflex/ 

I didn't get really noticeable let-downs or more than drops when pumping (not even ounces) when DD was 1-3 weeks old.  Your body has to learn how to let down to the pump.  

I try to get through two let downs, but I need to switch back to the first phase on the PISA to do so.   

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I only have 2 letdowns, the initial and then one about 5-7 minutes into pumping.  I only get 10 minutes at work to pump so I'm not sure if there would be another later on if I kept pumping. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options

I usually get 2 in a 15-20 minute session but sometimes I get a quick 3rd one right at the end.  I EP if that matters...

DS would never latch properly:( 

• Options

I get 3- one at the beginning, one at about 10 minutes in and then another around 15- 20 minutes.

And to other poster, you almost have to train your body to let down.  I always try to drink a big glass of water and breathe deep while pumping. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

The more you pump = the more you will make. however- that being said- having an 'oversupply' isn't always a great thing.

Try to keep your supply in line with what your baby's needs are- its ok if you have a little extra-

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    2 in 15mins of pumping after I feed him...so I guess technically 3.  I only pump once a day.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I never had noticeably letdowns. I've been EPing for five months... I just drip-drip-drip the whole 15 minutes of pumping time!!!

I'm not sure if that's normal... Embarrassed

• Options
    I pump at work but I try for 2 let downs per pumping session.  When the milk flow slows I actually turn my pump off and restart it (PISA has that faster and slower pumping to activate a let down).  It made a big difference.  I would guess you would get better results from doing that than just pumping for longer.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    If I change the phase on the PISA then I can get 2 let downs and I usually stop after the second one. Let down kinda sucks actually.
  • Options
    I only get 1 per session. I can still pump a decent amount (from 4-8 oz. in the morning, less later in the day). How can I get another one?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I never got more than one let down a pumping session, and I am no longer pumping.  I always stopped pumping as soon as the flow stopped as pumping time for me at work was way limited.  Am very jealous of all of your let downs!
    TTC #1 May 2007
    M/C January 2008
    DS February 16th, 2009

TTC #2 July 2010
    Diagnosed MFI
    IUI#1 w/ bravelle 5/12/11 -- 0% morph on day of IUI, but somehow BFP:
    Beta #1 38 at 12dpiui, Beta #2 85 at 14dpiui Beta #3 1100 at 19dpiui
    DD born December 28, 2011 at 34w6d

Baby #3 due June 14, 2015

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards