TTC after 35

OPK Question

I am 36. We have a 4 1/2 year old daughter and we are very ready to continue our family. We have been TTC since last year April. I think we struggle the most getting pregnant since my DH is a truck driver and isnt always home on those magical days.

I am thinking about trying OPK's. How do you know when to use them? Do you use them every day til you find the day? Is it true that you can test at a certain time one day and miss the +?

Any advice on using OPK's would be helpful. Thank you!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: OPK Question

• If you know about when you usually O then I'd start a couple days before and keep testing until you get a +.

If you don't know at all, like me when I first started last August, then what I did was get the Clear Blue Easy 20 pack Digital and tested everyday after AF til I got my first positive.

Keep in mind that a + opk only detects your LH surge so you know you will O within the next 24 - 48 hours. To confirm you actually did O you need to chart. Are you charting? If so, you can see your temp rise the day after O and that will confirm it for you. (for charting tutorials go to Fertility Friend)

I have heard that you can miss the surge but personally I get a positive at least two days in a row so for me its hard to miss.

Good luck on your TTC journey!

(Ladies: If I forgot anything please add)

• PP gave great information.

I would just add that I use the two-line dollar store tests at first and then when I start to see two similar lines, I uset the Clearblue easy digitals (smiley face) ones to confirm a surge. (I get those on e-bay)

I am lucky in that so far,  I can see a build up with the two lines (I only get one line at first and then a faint line, and then darker, etc.)  Not everyone gets a surge like that.

I have only been using OPKs for a few months, so I test twice a day, just to be sure.  I use FMU and then I test later in the day as well. 

Also, I read everything on peeonastick.com and it was really helpful. 

Hope that helps!

• Loading the player...
  • Thank you so much to both of you for all the helpful information. As of right now I have not been charting. I just may start doing it. Do you have to use a Basal Thermometer or can you use a regular one?

Funny story: I was charting when we were TTC with our first child. I charted for 8 months and gave up. I quit for 2 months then decided I would stgart charting again. The first 3-4 days of charting I couldnt figure out why my temps were so high starting off....ha ha ha...I was pregnant! Now if only that would happen this time around!

Off to check out peeonastick.com

• I used the Clear Blue Easy Fertility Monitor and cheapie test strips.  That along with charting, gave me a clear indication of when I O'd.  I highly recommend using some sort of Ovulation tester with charting.
  • I did just want to mention that there are women that do not have success with OPKs.  They never get a + no matter how many they pee on!!  I hope this is not the case for you...best of luck :)
  • I use the 20 pack strips from Walgreens and start testing on CD11 2x a day i find this to be the most cost effective but i am a steady surger on the 14th day.

Yes you must use a basel thermometer, when i first had started I used the regular one and was mad because i didn't see any temp changes.  you need the basel as it has like .xxx so you can see the actual changes.

Good Luck

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"