Health & Exercise

Runners: new shoes

How do you know when you're ready for new shoes? Do you track your mileage? Go by the overall wear of the shoe?

TIA

Re: Runners: new shoes

• Back when I was running (before getting pg) I used to go by how my foot felt in the sneaker ... if I had a lot of 'wearing' in the front area (inside by my toes) I would buy a new pair.  My brother tracks his mileage but he runs a great deal more than I do so I'm sticking w/ the toe check theory ha!
  • I do both.  When I'm in serious marathon training, I track my mileage, but now that I've cut back and am just running to maintain during my pregnancy I'm going by wear and tear.  I run more on the balls of my feet so that's usually the first place I notice wearing and I replace them asap.  I've had a partially ruptured achilles due in part to bad shoes so I don't mess around with them.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I roughly track my mileage, but my hips and knees usually tell me first, which makes me go check my mileage.

I also rotate 2 pairs of shoes during my marathon training.

• I track mileage and go by feel.  If they are starting to feel a little flat, time for a new pair. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My knees gave it away this time!  Just ordered a new pair today:)
    Read more on my blog: Leilaland http://myleilaland.blogspot.com Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Don't depend on visable wear because your shoe will break down inside first.  I agree with those who say your knees and or hips/shins will tell you.  When in doubt just get new shoes.  I waited too long in 2008 and ended up with a stress fracture in my foot.  If you know what shoe you want a great online site is www.rnjsports.com.  Mega discount and free shipping.  I get jog bras through them as well.  Good luck!

• No point in risking injury to yourself at any point, preg or not. Track your mileage, even if only roughly, and make sure you replace your shoes on time. That should be about every 400km or 250mi, depending on the make of the shoe. Mileage is mileage, regardless of whether you're 'in training' or just maintaining. DH and I have both had injuries / pain in the past due to not replacing on time and it really is just not worth it.
    Lookin' Down
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"