Minnesota Babies

Anyone else develop a postpartum rash?

I had my baby 10 days ago.  About 2-4 days before delivery my lower abdomen started to itch and now it is unbearable.  It has also spread down my inner thighs and lower leg the last 2 days.  I am using a hydrocortizone cream and lidocaine cream. 

Did anyone else develop this and what did you use to relieve it?  I'm thinking I need to go in and get some steroid medication.

photo a42489fa-98a3-436b-b31b-266d7d204e5d_zpsde5f201a.jpg
my read shelf:
Molly's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Anniversary

Re: Anyone else develop a postpartum rash?

• Sorry you're dealing with this!  I'd call your OB tomorrow to see what they recommend.

imageimage

Children Photography Photo Credit: Heather Barta Photography

• I had this happen.  It was horrible and unbearable.  My entire body (except for my chest, hands & face) was a red, bumpy, itchy mess.  I looked like red cauliflower, and was scratching myself in my sleep to the point of bleeding.

I saw my midwife and was diagnosed as having post-partum PUPPS.  She had me see another midwife at the clinic who concurred with her diagnosis.  It is pretty rare to get PUPPS post-partum, but apparently it does happen.

They also suggested hydrocortizone cream, but that did nothing for me.

Are you nursing?  If so, steroids may not be an option (it wasn't for me).

My midwifes also suggested Benadryl.  Benadryl hurt my milk supply like crazy, and only offered marginal relief.

Taking a SUPER hot shower seemed to offer temporary relief. (the theory is that the heat will 'pull out' whatever is causing the itchies, so after the heat is removed, the itchies need some time to recover before taking over again - such a technical explanation, lol)

Before going to bed at night, I would lay ice packs all over me - it was the only way I could fall asleep, because otherwise the itching was unbearable.

The rash/swelling left after about two weeks, and then I got 5 days off before it came back again.

Olivia's birthday was 11/26, the rash started the morning after she was born and I dealt with the PUPPS until the beginning of January.

My midwifes were amazed by it.  But, even a general practice doc agreed that there didn't appear to be any other cause.  After researching on-line, I completely agree with them that it was PUPPS.

FWIW, PUPPS generally starts around areas where there are stretch marks and then spreads.

I know I didn't give any great advice, but if your symptoms sound similar to mine, I would look up PUPPS on-line (google images or something) to see what you think.

And as PP said, definitely go see your doctor.

• Loading the player...
  • I don't know how bad it was... but I had really awful dry skin after being in the hospital.  The nurses said that it's because they keep it so dry in there.  I was in the hospital for four days after a c/s. 

So yeah... dry skin was the cause for my itchies.  

But like the pp said, it might be something more.  I would definitely make an appointment with a doctor.

ETA: Just realized you said it started before delivery.  Definitely get that checked out.

Mama to Elliot (11.09.08) and Jude (09.01.11)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I agree with PP it sounds like PUPPS and I'd get it checked out.  I never had it, but I had a couple people who did and it isn't fun so I feel for you!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"