Preemies

How much did 7 days in the NICU cost you?

My DD was not a preemie, but was in the NICU for 7 days on antibiotics due to inhaling meconium on her way out... I believe our insurance covers 80% of her stay and I'm afraid our portion will still be pretty big. We haven't gotten a bill or seen a claim yet and I am really curious. I know each situation is different, but I just want to get a general idea. TIA!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: How much did 7 days in the NICU cost you?

• DD was in the NICU for 8 days.  She had the bili lights, isolette, and IV antibiotics for 7 days.  I think her bill was just over $100,000. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • do you have an out of pocket cost? that is how much it should cost you. GL! 
    Emma - March '08 Quinn - August '11
    Need help with high fat food ideas? Chunky Monkey
  • Loading the player...
  • I think it really varies by region.   Our first son was in the NICU for 15 days and the total bill was around $40,000.   Our insurance covered it all except the $2,000 hospital deductible.
  • Our LO was in the NICU for two weeks and it came to $75k.

We had an OOP max of $1k, so we paid a grand for her stay.

Weird because my stay was $24k (I had a vaginal delivery and I was there 3 days). I would have thought her stay would have cost a lot more.

• DD#2 was in the NICU for 11 days (on and off CPAP, one dose of surfactant, Synagis, 2.5 or 3 days under bili lights, isolette) and it cost $45,500. 

We only owe $1300 due to our out of pocket maximum and hospitalization fee.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • DD was in the nicu for 10 days.  Our total bill was around $52k and lab work and xrays were another $2k.  We paid a $200 copay and $2100 for the stay.  That was our out of pocket max. 

Call your insurance to see what your out of pocket max is and if it went up when you added the baby to your insurance. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • $40,000 for eight days.
  • I work at the hospital that DD was in so her NICU stay was covered 100%.  Didn't even get a bill so I really have no clue how much it was.  Part of me is curious how much it was and part is just so glad I didn't have to pay any of it that I don't care!

• Our insurance was billed a little over $5000 a day.  If we had to pay 20% of what the insurance paid (which was about 30 - 40% of what they were billed), it would have been around $350 a day.  She was a micropreemie and her care in the beginning was a lot higher and therefore cost more.  HTH!
  • One of my 35 weekers was in for 6 days and our bill for just his NICU stay was about 35k.  Fortunately, my coverage paid 100%. 

• DD was in NICU for 6 days, with IV's, O2 , anitbotics, bili lights for a couple hours and daily visits from Neo(come from another hospital).
    Not sure how much total was, didn't look, but our part was around $1500.00 and we have 80-20 split insurance,
  • My DD was in the NICU for 12 days. She was on Bili lights, had an iv, on CPAP for a few days, had some x-rays done too. Her bill was around $25,000, but I only had to pay $150 out of pocket.

• DS was in the NICU for 15 days and it cost $92K for the day to day stuff but there were additional charges for things like X-rays and respiratory therapist stuff. As PP'er mentioned, plan to pay whatever your out of pocket maximum is.
  • our daughter was in the nicu for 18 days and her only issue was not eating, so no lights or other things.  her stay was $25,800 and we only had to pay $437.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"