Alabama Babies

Diaper Genie vs. Garbage Can?

Hey ladies...trying to decide if we should get the Diaper Genie or just buy a garbage can w/lid...I've read that the fact that the diaper genie requires special bags can be a headache but I'm thinking that if I were to get a nice garbage can with a petal and tight close lid it would be more expensive that just getting the genie and bags...what do/will you have? Thanks in advance!

Re: Diaper Genie vs. Garbage Can?

• We have this diaper pail.  We love it!  We buy the odor shield garbage bags in it with no problem.  If diapers are really stinky, I will put them in a blue scented diaper bag (like this) and put in it.  

I did not want the hassle of the diaper genie and all the refills.  

Allie ~ 01/26/09 ~ 7 lbs, 9 oz ~ 20.75 in. & Amelia ~ 03/16/11 ~ 8 lbs, 1 oz ~ 21 in.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We received a used (but clean!) diaper genie and several refill packs, but I would not have bought it myself.  It is nice to not have the smell though...and I ditto the blue scented bags for really smelly diapers.
  • Loading the player...
  • We have the diaper genie elite II or whatever it is called and I like it. Really, the refills are not that big of a deal. (I just watch out for them when they are on sale and stock up when I have a coupon.) They last a while (we only have to take out the bag when it is full, which is like once a week) and we only change out the cartridge about once a month or so?

I like it because you can't smell anything from the genie. Plus, I like that it has the pedal footstep.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
    mmc and d&c at 8.5 weeks - 8/23/2010
    natural m/c and d&c at 10 weeks - 1/24/2014
    DX w/ hetero C677t and A1298C MTHFR - 3/4/2014

• we just have a step can and use shopping plastic bags.  we havne't had issues w/ odors - we just empty it out often
  • We have the diaper champ. I love it because you can use regular trash bags. :)
  • imageRachelJohnson:
    We have the diaper champ. I love it because you can use regular trash bags. :)

This.

• imageMrsAO:

imageRachelJohnson:

This.

This too. I haven't had any problems.

DD born 8/24/07
    TTC #2 since 4/09
    Unexplained Secondary IF
    4 failed rounds of clomid ~ 4 failed IUIs ~ 1 m/c
    2/3/11: IUI #5 - Femara/Follistim/Ovidrel/Crinone = BFP (2/14)!!!
    Beta #1 (12dpiui): 53 Beta #2 (14dpiui): 203 Beta #3 (20dpiui): 3932 Beta #4 (28dpiui): 60,775
    1st U/S (3/3): 2 sacs & yolks 2nd U/S (3/8) 2 heartbeats-TWINS!
    Baby A:6w6d HR 131 Baby B:6w4d HR 124
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    TWINS!! EDD 10/25/2011
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • We also have the diaper champ.
  • imageRachelJohnson:

This is what all my friends have and they LOVE it!

• We have a Simple Human step can with locking lid (to keep the dog out of it now and the baby out when she gets older) we use the Target Up and Up brand kitchen trash bags (they fit VERY snugly and are just like the Hefty with odor shield and the stretch top) with odor shield and for stinky diapers we use the Especially for Baby disposable diaper bags.  Although DH is lazy and will sometimes just toss the dirties in without putting them in the green bag and you still can't smell them.

I bought the SH trash can at BB&B with a 20% off coupon.  They come in black, mocha, and white.

• I think diaper pails are gross.  IMO, they all start to stink after a while.  A regular garbage can, though, even with a tight fitting lid, isn't gonna keep that stinch away.  We keep a garbage can sitting in our garage by the back door.  For poopie diapers, I put them in one of those little good smelling blue diaper bags and throw it out there.  I just don't want poopie diapers anywhere inside my house at all.  For peepee diapers, I think a diaper pail would work fine.
  • I love our diaper genie.  I would prefer it.  The bags really aren't an issue.  They seem to last a couple of weeks.  I just make sure I always have an extra one.  That way I dont run out.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • We had the diaper genie and used it for the first year, but to be honest, if I had to do it over again, I would just get a regular trash can.  The diaper genie keeps the smell contained, but as soon as you open it or take out the bag to refill, Robinson's room would smell like poop for hours-  it grossed me out, so we just started using the regular trash.  It's going to stink no matter what...we just take out our trash every night now. 
  • We also have the diaper champ....no problems at all with it
  • I don't have anything to contribute, because my baby's diapers don't stink.  :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We have the Diaper Champ and use Odor Shield trash bags. I mean it works pretty well until you open it to take it out. I honestly don't think there's any way to avoid poopy diapers stinking up your house at some point...I just think back to the diaper "pail" that my mom used for my brother back in 1984...lol...it was basically a trash can that some genius marketer designed that had a bear on the side of it...
  • imagelilcrablegs:

I don't have anything to contribute, because my baby's diapers don't stink.  :)

LOL! FUNNY!

• I just use a regular garbage pail with sassy bags inside. No stink!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"