Special Needs

Gross motor delays...any other drs or tests?

I'm getting frustrated with figuring out what to do about my DD's gross motor delays. I've been to a neurologist, developmental ped, had an MRI, EEG, bloodwork, etc. At this point, nothing bad has shown up, which is good of course. But I wish I could figure out why she wont move. Shes 16 months and still doesnt roll, crawl or pull up. She's been in EI PT for months and I just had her evaluated by an outside PT (waiting to see if insurance covers it). Are there any other drs or tests I'm missing? I wish I could just figure out what's going on. Thanks everyone.

Re: Gross motor delays...any other drs or tests?

• My DD also has gross motor delays. Well actually she's delayed in all areas. All of her tests have been normal but we know she has some unknown genetic syndrome because of the physical characteristics and health issues she has.

I believe that her delays are caused by a biochemical problem. And science is just not advanced enough to know what that is. I for one, am tired of trying to figure out why she is the way she is. I have accepted the fact that I may never know. I don't even think a diagnosis would help to make her better. The best I can do is be diligent with her therapies and expose her to as much stimulation, love and new experiences as possible. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Have you ever been told that she has low muscle tone?  Is she really floppy when you pick her up?  I can't imagine how frustratated you are.  It's so hard when you can't find a reason.  It's also hard when you get different answers from different proffessionals.  I know with my son the PT said he has very mild low muscle tone and weakness but the neuro said he has a gross motor/speech delay and he sees no weakness, etc.  This was at 18 months and he has to go back to the neuro at 22 months as he wants to see even more progress.  My son rolled at an early to average age but didn't sit up assisted until 9 months and even at that point I didn't feel comfortable leaving him with no pillows behind him until 10 months.  He army crawled from 10 to 14 months and then crawled with belly off the floor from 14 m until 18 months when he took his first steps but didn't fully walk until 19 months.  You can tell at 20 months he is still wobbly but he is still considered a new walker.  I don't know if he is just late or what.  I got different answers from different people so it's hard to say.  Early intervention is key and you will hopefully soon see progress.  What does the PT say?
  • Loading the player...
  • The neurologist said my DD has low tone. The dev dr didnt think she does. She's not floppy but I think her tone is low to a point. The dev dr thinks a lot of it is lack of motivation which I know is true. She just seems content sitting all day (I force her to go on her tummy but she hates it).

Thanks for all your responses!

• Did the neurologist scan her brain for CP?

My DD did not crawl by 12 months and was not sitting up/pullling up in her crib.  I had her evaluated by EI around 15 months which was when she began receiving PT and special ed.

By the time she was 24 months, she still did not have a reciprocal crawl (she was doing this "bunny hop" thing) and she was not walking either.  She also had no language by 24 months.  At this point, the ped said we should have her brain imaged to check for CP.

That test came back negative.

It wasn't until she was about 30 months when we received the ASD dx.

I would have her checked for CP if the neuro didn't do that already.

• We did have her tested for CP which luckily came out ok (MRI). She does speak well. Not sure why the motor delays!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"