Preemies

Anyone Have A Placental Abruption?

Hi there!

In no way, shape or form am I thinking about having another child right now.....but out of curiosity....is it common to have a placental abruption the second time around?  I had one at 29.5 weeks and my water broke shortly after.  I ended up delivering at 31 weeks to the day after 10 days of horrible bleeding and contractions.  What are the chances of having another one?

Thanks!

Re: Anyone Have A Placental Abruption?

• I never fully abrupted, but had chronic abruptions that caused PTL. I've been told my chances of having another on increase significantly (ten fold) with the next pregancy.
    Emma - March '08 Quinn - August '11
    Need help with high fat food ideas? Chunky Monkey
  • I had a very small one which caused me to go into labor at 34w4d. They said it was unexplained (had a totally normal pg up till that point) and it was unlikely to repeat in a future pg. I think it all depends on what they believe CAUSED the abruption.
  • Loading the player...
  • I had one with my DD at 35w6d. She had a short cord and it was thought that that caused it. I was told the chances of it happening again were slim to none. My DS was born at 36w, but I did not have an abruption . . . just an early delivery.

• I did. At 30 weeks, I had a massive bleed so was put on hospital bedrest. Had 2 more massive bleeds until they just did a c/s. The OB said she didn't think it would happen with my next pregnancy. Mostly bc it was due to the complete previa which was just random. Did you ask your OB what she thought?
    Abigail Noelle, 8.29.09
    Brady Phoenix, 8.29.09
    Claire Zoe, 10.26.10

• According to all the research I've done, if you have none of the risk factors your odds of having an abruptions are <1%. In your next pregancy if you've had an abruption in a previous pregnancy the odd are more around 10%. So yes, the odds are still in your favor but the risk does increase.
    Emma - March '08 Quinn - August '11
    Need help with high fat food ideas? Chunky Monkey
  • Thanks so much for all of your replies!  I have not asked my OB as of yet, but will next week.  I also found out that I have a heart shaped uterus, which also could have caused me to go into preterm labor.  I'm about 1% of the population!  Go figure.
  • I had one at almost 29 weeks and hospitalized and continued to have bleeding episodes ranging from mild to heavy and everything in between for 3 weeks, then after 2 blood transfusions and finally 1 week of no bleeding episodes i  was realeased from the hospital and my water broke 2 days later at 33 weeks. I havent discussed in depth with my dr. yet about risk percentages (although everything I have read agrees with pp ijack said). My dr. said there is an increase risk but she wouldnt say that it is so great that I shouldnt have another kid, but I am scared enough of the what ifs that we might not. They dont know what caused mine for sure i had PIH but none of the other risk factors so who knows. Do we feel special to be 1% of the population. :(
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"