Preemies

feeding/bottle weaning ?

hey ladies!

so, Georgia seems to want less formula lately.  On a typical day she eats 3 decent sized meals and drinks about 20-22 ounces as well.  Lately, she's only averaging about 18 ounces a day but is still quite interested in her meals, puffs, bits of cheese, etc... do babies actually wean themselves?  I am a first time Mom and learning as I go so maybe it's a silly question.  I knew I could ask my preemie ladies though as I am concerned.  She isn't lethargic, still crazy happy, doesn't seem to have gas or anything but is teeeeeething!  Poor Georgia is getting all 4 of her top teeth at once.  I am thinking this could be it as well.

I may have just answered my own question.  note to self: probably shouldn't ask questions after 9:30pm ... lol. 

imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: feeding/bottle weaning ?

• The more solid foods Simon ate, the less formula/milk he wanted.  At our 12 month appt. the pedi said he should drink 12-24oz. of milk (switched cold turkey at 1yr.) and the bulk of his nutrition should come from his food.  Maybe Georgia is ready to drink less and eat more.  I would go with her cues, especially since she seems to be happy and active.  And I definitely think Simon eats less when the teeth are coming in.
  • Yes, normally. Marino was sort of unusual b/c he was eating 3 meals, 4 snacks and still drinking 40 hours of milk at 15 months! Our pedi told us to start cutting down the bottles...she didn't care if he was getting that many calories but she wanted them coming from food rather than milk. We slowly started cutting down and he eventually dropped 1 bottle all together. He now drinks less than 20 ounces of milk a day (our pedi said 24 oz should be the max amt of milk he was taking in after 1).
  • Loading the player...
  • agreed and thank you!   :)
  • That sounds about right, especially considering she is teething.  Andrew is 10 1/2 months adjusted and he's kind of gradually eating less milk and more food.  He's probably drinking 24 oz a day or somewhere in that ballpark, but he is still catching on to his solids.

4 at once - OUCH!!!

At our 9 month appt the doctor said they typically recommend 3 solid meals + 20 oz formula so she seems to be on target. 

I'm glad she is still a happy girl!!

• ty, ty ladies - i appreciate your insight.  sometimes i know she is on track and sometimes i question it.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"