Preemies
Options

Anyone have a preemie due to Placenta previa?

I've been hospitalized twice for bleeding caused by a complete previa. They gave me shots to help his lungs mature and put me on bed rest and the goal is to make it to 35 weeks and do a c-section. I'm wondering if any of you were able to make it to 35 weeks with complete previa? Good luck to all of you and your babies!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Anyone have a preemie due to Placenta previa?

• Options

i had DS at 32w6d due to a previa (we never figured out if it was complete, partial, or just low). i had 2 spotting incidents, a period-like bleeding incident, and then one really heavy incident the day we delivered DS.  thank god i had just been admitted to hospital bedrest the day before the last incident. while i HATED that i was admitted, i was thankful when the bleeding happened!

the steroid shots are awesome - i didn't have them soon enough (i got my first one the day before DS was delivered). they will definitely help!

i think how long you make it with a previa is completely unpredictable, which is the hardest part in my opinion. you never know, which is very scary. i think there's every chance you'll make it to 35w!!!

let me know if you have any questions at all. my email is kate dot mcfarlane at yahoo dot com.

good luck and keep us posted!!

• Options

Thank you so much! How big was your baby when he was born? Did he have to stay in the hospital for a long time? I really appreciate you sharing your story and I'll email you directly if I think of more questions.

Thanks again!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have no experience with placenta previa, but I hope your LO is able to stay inside for many many more weeks!!
  • Options
    imagekamcfarlane:

i had DS at 32w6d due to a previa (we never figured out if it was complete, partial, or just low). i had 2 spotting incidents, a period-like bleeding incident, and then one really heavy incident the day we delivered DS.  thank god i had just been admitted to hospital bedrest the day before the last incident. while i HATED that i was admitted, i was thankful when the bleeding happened!

the steroid shots are awesome - i didn't have them soon enough (i got my first one the day before DS was delivered). they will definitely help!

i think how long you make it with a previa is completely unpredictable, which is the hardest part in my opinion. you never know, which is very scary. i think there's every chance you'll make it to 35w!!!

let me know if you have any questions at all. my email is kate dot mcfarlane at yahoo dot com.

good luck and keep us posted!!

I'm going to second the "thanks for sharing!" I have complete previa and was in the hospital for heavy bleeding last week. I have a c-section scheduled for March 25th, a full 4 weeks away. I sure hope LO stays baking until then.

Ashley & Jeff Married since August 2007 BFP Cycle #16, Clomid 100mg DD #1 born on March 25, 2010 TTC #2 as of May 31, 2011 Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I'm so sorry you're going through this.  Previa absolutely sucks.

I had my daughter at 32w4d, after a freaking scary hemorrhage.  I'd been in the hospital for a week at about 29 weeks, and was on my second week of bed rest at home when all of a sudden there was blood everywhere. 

I wish I'd had a better understanding of the problems that previas cause earlier on.  I finally got an explanation at my 6 week follow-up that I wish I'd had earlier.  Basically, the placenta tends to irritate the cervix, causing cervical dilation, which irritates that placenta, which can cause the pools of blood in the placenta (and possibly the oxygen transfer membrane between you and the baby) to rupture.  If I'd known that, I would probably have been much more wary of Braxton-Hicks contractions.

• Options

i should add that the reason we ended up delivering was due to the fact that the bleeding and stress of it all caused me to start having contractions. non-painful contractions, but every 2 minutes. otherwise we were going to try to wait until 34w.

Ryan was 4lb, 14oz and was in the NICU for 26 days. he was on the CPAP for about a day and the cannula for a couple of days. he did the billi lights and mostly just hung out learning to eat. he took his sweet time figuring that out and hasn't stopped eating since! he's currently caught up on all of his milestones. he started walking at about 14 months actual and has a TON of words. he's in the 95th % for height and the 75th for weight. we have had 1 wheezing incident since he was born and otherwise he has been relatively healthy (especially considering he's in daycare and has a ton of cousins). we dealt with reflux for awhile, but it was well controlled with zantac. in short, he's absolutely perfect (in my completely unbiased opinion of course!).

• Options

I had DD#2 at 33w4d due to previa. I, too, had a very scary hemorrhage at home. I had a small bleed at 30 weeks but everything looked okay with DD. I was on bedrest over the weekend but that was it.

The morning that DD#2 was delivered I woke up at 6 am in a puddle of blood. My water broke on the toilet and I didn't know it (I thought it was another gush of blood). I had huge clots. We high tailed it to the hospital locally with the NICU (not the hospital I planned on delivering at if I went full-term) with our older DD in tow. We arrived in L&D at 6:38am (we live about 20-25 minutes away from the hospital) and DD#2 was born via c-section at 7:53 am. Upon visualization of my cervix, my OB could tell I was dilating very quickly. I had just had an ultrasound 2 days prior and everything looked great.

DD#2 was born crying and her Apgars were 8 and 9. She had to get one dose of surfactant (we never received the steroid shots) and bounced back and forth from room air setting CPAP and no CPAP for 4 days. She spent 2.5 days under the bili lights and the rest of the time (11 day NICU stay) she was learning to eat and maintain body temp.

I hope that you don't end up having a scary bleed. I pray that you have an uneventful end to your pregnancy! Please take any contractions or bleeding very seriously.

If you have any questions feel free to email me at craziheazo at aol dot com .

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"