North Carolina Babies

And update on Daniel

Daniel's had a rough few days. He's been running a high fever for 3 days, it is over 100 degrees even after tylenol. We got the prelimary results from his MRI and its not good news.

There are 3-4 spots in his brain that are infarcted (dead). One of those spots controls his hearing. They do not anticipate these areas to heal. We are waiting for more extensive hearing tests but he has to be sedated for those tests and they don't want to put him through anymore stress than necessary.

There are several more spots that are inflammed. One of those are pressing on the hypothalamus gland, which may account for his high fever. If the swelling doesn't go down in those areas, his normal temp. may be in the low 100s, and if he gets a fever it would spike to 106 which is obviously very dangerous.

There is also swelling in his forehead near the area that controls personality, but so far we're told that's not a huge concern. 

His right eye is still not opening and it looks like that may be permanent. He is out of ICU and will move to rehab tomorrow. He will be in rehab up to a month.

The drs will clarify more tomorrow, but this news is devastating. Today was a very bittersweet day for me.

ETA: Please don't mention this on Facebook, I do not want to share too much with our friends & family until my sister is ready.

image Caleb is 3! 101 in 1001

Re: And update on Daniel

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"