3rd Trimester
Options

Iron supplement + stool softener?

Hello all - my doctor has told me to get an over-the-counter iron supplement, which I did. But, all of the formerly pregnant women I know say I must take Colace stool softener with it. I'm not thrilled about taking any extra medicine but don't want to be constipated either. Can anyone share your experience with this issue? Thanks in advance!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Iron supplement + stool softener?

• Options
    I just took the Slow Fe...I made sure to eat plenty of veggies and fiber to try to keep me normal. I could see where Colace might be beneficial. Lucky for me, my midwife said my iron level isn't *that* low, and I have cut down back to an iron pill every other day... but I am still trying to keep my diet high in fiber to try to stay regular. Good luck! 

• Options
    YES! Colace is a must have for Iron(at least with me). Otherwise....its not pretty.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I was just told today by my doc that I'm slightly anemic.  I have to get an iron supplement and I know that it is constipating. 

::waits for responses::

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I am taking iron two times per day and have not needed anything. I will take metamucil if I need it, but so far so good. Just see how your body reacts first.
  • Options
    I've been on iron supplements for a few weeks now.  Only twice did I take Colace.  I guess the iron just didn't stop me up like I thought it would.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Ask if you can take calcium/ magnesium instead of a traditional stool softener. It keeps you regular AND it helps with RLP.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker m/c 03.08.11 at ~9 weeks
  • Options
    I ended up doing the iron every other day instead of everyday. When I was stopped up I took Dulcolax and one usually did the trick in about 24 hours or so. Eat more fiber if you can and drink lots of water, it helps!
  • Options
    I had to take iron for quite awhile after ds was born due to hemmoraging and it is really important not to skip the stool softener, without it I would have been in big trouble.
  • Options

imagearchna:
    Ask if you can take calcium/ magnesium instead of a traditional stool softener. It keeps you regular AND it helps with RLP.

Just don't take the cal/mag at the same time as your iron. Calcium interferes with iron absorption.

• Options
    I had to take the Slow FE early on and within a day, I was really uncomfortable and feeling like I was getting pretty stopped up despite my efforts to avoid it with diet.  I got some Colace and it really helps. I don't take the iron supplement anymore as it turned out I didn't really need it after all. My sister in law had to take Colace every day of her pregnancies because she was so easily constipated (and she eats a super healthy balanced diet, exercises like a nut, and drinks water like it's her job!).  I took it almost daily for a while but now I just take it every once in awhile as needed to help make sure I stay regular.  It's so not worth being uncomfortable and getting backed up!  
  • Options
    Even the extra iron in my pre-natal makes me constipated. I eat A LOT of fibre and drink A LOT of water.  Otherwise I get backed up for days...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Eleanor Noelle - 18/05/12 Claire Elisabeth - 16/-5/10
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"