Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Not liking the boob anymore

DS has been bf since day 1 but we had to start supplementing because he's a growing boy and wanting 3-4 ounces at a time and I'm only making 1- 1 1/2 myself.  So he bfs and then I give him the formula afterward.

All day today he will not stay latched on and won't eat from me but he'll drink the formula.  Is it just too much effort for him since he's not getting much?

Re: Not liking the boob anymore

• It might be; you may want to try pumping and giving him the bottle.  I am sorry!
  • I do pump, but it's hard to do when I'm home alone with LO.  It seems like every time I try, as soon as I get it going he's awake and crying for my attention.  Plus, I have to pump 3 times to get enough for him to eat once.

Formula feeding would be so much easier, but I really love the bonding and I'm so not emotionally ready to give that up!  Guess I'm going to have to suck it up...

• Loading the player...
  • Ugh I'm sorry! Have you been supplementing with a bottle? If so our lactation consultant had us do it with a cup or syringe (like you use for baby medicine) instead. Or you could just pump.
  • Hang in there, I know its not easy. 
  • imageAnna&Matt:
    Ugh I'm sorry! Have you been supplementing with a bottle? If so our lactation consultant had us do it with a cup or syringe (like you use for baby medicine) instead. Or you could just pump.

Yeah, supplementing from a bottle.  And before that we would give him breast milk from a bottle too.  He'd switch back and forth without any problem.

I guess he's finally figured out that he's not getting much from the boob.

• I know it's hard but have you tried pumping frequently (like every hour) to increase supply?  Maybe you could try it over a weekend so your DH can help out, doing that really helped me build up supply.  Then, I do one supplemental formula feed per day but I still pump so that essentially I am 1 pump ahead of her feeding schedule so when she fusses I have a full bottle already and I feed her and then pump after she's eaten and calmed down.  I exclusively pump and this has really helped me.  Good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Have you tried taking fenugreek or making lactation cookies and pumping hourly to boost supply?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"