3rd Trimester
Options

Pregnancy massage and back acne?

The good news: DH and I won a weekend babymoon at a local hotel this weekend! We're thrilled because it's a nice hotel and includes a pregnancy massage and facial that sound wonderful. However, I'm concerned about the massage because of the back acne that has accompanied my pregnancy. I'm not only embarrassed by the condition of my back right now, but the oils and lotions will likely irritate it even more. I'm thinking that maybe I will just skip the massage.

Since acne issues are common in pregnancy, I'm wondering if any of you have gotten a pregnancy massage with your back acne. How was your experience? Did it make it worse? Were you embarrassed or did the massage therapist make you feel comfortable regardless?

My big boy image Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Pregnancy massage and back acne?

• Options

I haven't had a massage since the appearance of my backne, but I work in a salon and day spa that offers prenatal massages.  I asked the massage therapist if the oils would irritate it, and she said they shouldn't.  She also said that the massaging may help to clear it up by bringing all the dirt and gunk to the surface.

I say go for it!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    just do it ...  I have a few breakouts on my back from this pregnancy but I dont think they would mind.  I think the rub down would feel great and you can always ask them not to use any weird oils or lotions, just the basics.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

You can always mention to the therapist that you have broken out and would prefer them not to use the oils on your back.  At the place we go, they usually have some sensitive skin products to use.  I usually do this with my face, as any oily product on my face makes me break out like a teenage boy.

• Options

I grew up with back acne. Never had any break outs on my face my back just took all the beatings. Before I was pregnant I would get massages at my work (worked at a spa/salon) and trust me not one person will care or mind. They to have their own body issues plus they have seen EVERYTHING like a pp said if they even begin to make you feel uncomfortable they are not doing a good job. Seriously from experience don't let yourself get hung up on it or else you will not really be relaxing the way you should to enjoy it!

Also I have to say working at my last job seriously built up my self esteem so much. Before I used to be so embarrassed about my acne and I finally got up the nerve to talk to one of the esthetician and she started telling me about stuff she had and never ONCE made me feel weird or gross just helped me in any way she could. Plus just doing hair and mani/pedi's I would get women telling me "oh my feet are HORRIBLE" seriously all of us working there had a joke that if we got a penny for every time we heard that we would be rich! Every person has their hang ups. It's totally normal and don't worry one bit!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageanabell0920:

I grew up with back acne. Never had any break outs on my face my back just took all the beatings. Before I was pregnant I would get massages at my work (worked at a spa/salon) and trust me not one person will care or mind. They to have their own body issues plus they have seen EVERYTHING like a pp said if they even begin to make you feel uncomfortable they are not doing a good job. Seriously from experience don't let yourself get hung up on it or else you will not really be relaxing the way you should to enjoy it!

Also I have to say working at my last job seriously built up my self esteem so much. Before I used to be so embarrassed about my acne and I finally got up the nerve to talk to one of the esthetician and she started telling me about stuff she had and never ONCE made me feel weird or gross just helped me in any way she could. Plus just doing hair and mani/pedi's I would get women telling me "oh my feet are HORRIBLE" seriously all of us working there had a joke that if we got a penny for every time we heard that we would be rich! Every person has their hang ups. It's totally normal and don't worry one bit!

This made me feel a lot better, thank you!

Thanks for all of your input--I think I will just go for it and do my best to relax and enjoy it. 

My big boy image Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    You better get that massage!!! I have had some back breakouts and I got a massage...and you know what, it felt so good I could have cared less what my back looked like!! I didnt break out worse either...you could ask them to use oils/lotions for sensitive skin. Just remember, this is there job, what they get paid to do...Im sure theyd rather massage the cute pregnant lady with a few bumps on her back, than the 300 lb stinky hairy guy! :)  Go for it and enjoy your time with hubby!!
  • Options

imagelynsey851:
    You better get that massage!!! I have had some back breakouts and I got a massage...and you know what, it felt so good I could have cared less what my back looked like!! I didnt break out worse either...you could ask them to use oils/lotions for sensitive skin. Just remember, this is there job, what they get paid to do...Im sure theyd rather massage the cute pregnant lady with a few bumps on her back, than the 300 lb stinky hairy guy! :)  Go for it and enjoy your time with hubby!!

haha this or the guys that ask to be massaged in WAY TO CLOSE for comfort places like hmm groin areas! Or those nasty guys that start to pitch tents. Trust me it happens! Ick!

Op- I am glad I could help Big Smile  Plus just think that the endorphins that will be released during your massage from you feeling relaxed/ happy your LO will feel them as well! So not only is it good for you it's good for LO!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"