Blended Families

I'm so torn

Okay, I have a stepson who is 13.5 and a stepdaughter who is almost 9.  We get them 50% of overnights.  We also have a DD who is almost 2 and another baby due early September.  Right now the kids each have their own bedroom upstairs and DH and I have the second biggest room in the house as our bedroom, downstairs.  Recently DD has gone from an average of 2-3 wakings per night to 8-10.  Nobody in the house is really sleeping, not to mention I have to keep running upstairs to take care of her.  We have come to the conclusion that this is only going to get worse when DC#2 arrives, as he/she will also be upstairs, most likely from the beginning (DD was never able to sleep downstairs).  At this point, we have decided that it makes the most sense to move our bedroom upstairs.  Our old bedroom would then become more of a playroom/baby gear room as there is no way both will fit in our current living room.  The problem is that this means we are about 1 bedroom short.  DH feels that there is some way that DSS and DSD can share a room.  I feel that this is a crazy idea, as they would end up killing each other.  His other idea is that DSD and DD can share a room (even though DD will get into all of DSDs many small/messy things), the baby can go in our room (though DD made too much noise for him so I don't know why he thinks this one will be any different) and then DSS can keep his own room.  I don't know if my idea is much better.  I am proposing that we put a futon type thing in the playroom/baby gear room and DSS can sleep in there.  The only thing he does in his bedroom, besides sleep is play his video game and that would be moving to the playroom anyhow.  He is the last of the kids to go to bed, and even if he wants to go to bed earlier, the rest of the kids can move to the livingroom for the rest of the evening.  I am not trying to say that 'my kids' deserve better than my stepkids.  I am trying to figure out a way that we can gain a little more room downstairs but also all get sleep.  WDYT?
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers 
                         Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: I'm so torn

• IMO, no a 9 yo and a 13 yo of opposite sexes should not be sharing a bedroom.
    So total, how many bedrooms and how many kids do you have?
  • imageparis.inthe.spring:
    IMO, no a 9 yo and a 13 yo of opposite sexes should not be sharing a bedroom.

This and actually in most states, the court would have an issue with it too.

accordingtoabby.com" "From of suffering emerges the strongest souls. The most massive characters are seared with scars." Kahlil Gibran
  • Loading the player...
  • I agree, at that age they should have their own private areas. Put the girls together and then is there a way that SS can have his own room
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageparis.inthe.spring:

Technically, 3 bedrooms plus an extra room downstairs.  Soon to be 4 kids.

• imagela79al:

imageparis.inthe.spring:

Technically, 3 bedrooms plus an extra room downstairs.  Soon to be 4 kids.

So four bedrooms, 5 beds needed. Are any of the bedrooms large enough to split in two?

• No, not really.  The downstairs bedroom may be able to be split but getting into one of the rooms would be difficult. 
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • imageInternetExplorer:

Invest in some creative/interesting storage solutions for toys in the living room.  IKEA has tons of cheap, funky, usable stuff.

And then just swap rooms w/ DSS.  The baby can stay w/ you and then move in w/ DD when you're ready.

This is exactly what I was going to suggest.

• imageInternetExplorer:

Invest in some creative/interesting storage solutions for toys in the living room.  IKEA has tons of cheap, funky, usable stuff.

I love IKEA storage solutions, but I think we are past that point.  We already have half the livingroom furniture in storage and DDs toys on shelves and in baskets.  I cringe to think about where we are going to put things like a bouncy chair, swing, etc. 

• And I have no problem with the new baby sharing a room with DD from the very beginning or moving our room upstairs and putting DSS downstairs.  The problem is that we need more space downstairs. 
  • imagela79al:
    And I have no problem with the new baby sharing a room with DD from the very beginning or moving our room upstairs and putting DSS downstairs.  The problem is that we need more space downstairs. 

I think swapping rooms w/ DSS is your best bet, as far as needing more room downstairs... hard to give you options w/ out seeing the space.  Is there stuff downstairs you can move into kids bedrooms?

• Bunk Beds.

accordingtoabby.com" "From of suffering emerges the strongest souls. The most massive characters are seared with scars." Kahlil Gibran
  • Really, the only kid things downstairs are DDs toys.  I don't really want to move them up to her room because we don't spend time in her room anyhow, plus I babysit another little girl and the idea of taking 2 toddlers up and down the stairs while pregnant does not seem practical.  Believe me, our house is laid out poorly and there's really no space, other than this 'extra room' to put anything that we use. 
  • Do you have a finished basement? Or that you could block off and make it a basement AND a bedroom?? I bet that your SS may enjoy the privacy and the extra freedom... I would look into that!
  • We already have bunk beds, just not sure which kids to stick in them.  And no, we do not have a finished basement.  And I have already considered making a bedroom down there but in order for it to be safe, I think it has to have a window and there's no way that will work.  DSS would have to come upstairs to escape. 
  • In order to have a BR in the basement you do have to have an egress window installed.  I looked into it last year and they were about $3000.

I would think that you could move DSS room to your room and section off an area that would be a playroom when he is not there/not using the room.  Have you asked the kids how they feel about it, if they have any ideas?

• If you are really wanting to keep the 4th room as something other than a bedroom, your only solution realistically would be to split it like this. You, DH & baby in one room (when the baby gets here), DD & SD in one room, SS in the other. You need a "boy" room and a "girl" room. Your SS is WAY to old to share a room with a girl.

DD(14),SD(13),SS(11),SS(9),DS(3)

• I would think that SS would have his own room, SD would share with DD and DC#2 would room with you guys for a bit.  If DC2 is a boy then he shares with SS, and if a girl, then you look into bunk/trundle beds.
  • Right now we have a 3 bedroom and we have the boys in with some awesome (and not very expensive bunkbeds from ikea) and the new baby will be in with DD (after she starts sleeping through the night because I will nurse and have a cosleeper for my room). I am having fun decorating my "girlie" room!
  • I am confused why you cannot just move into DSS' room and have him move into yours.  And I am not trying to sound rude if it comes off that way but are you not sure or do you have something you really want to do but need justification?  Legally you probably cannot have SS and SD share a room so that is not even an option, besides legal reasons they need privacy...and I am talking more than just changing, boys that way need their PRIVACY if you know what I mean!  As for toys, yeah it would suck if you did not have a play area but you will live, setup some toys in her room and play there more often and move other toys into the living room (or dining room if you have one) and deal with it not being as you wish, I do not have a great layout either and we got rid of our coffee table for more space, you just have to make do with what you have.  When your little ones sleep without waking either other an insane amount of time they will share a room until you figure something else you.  As for the baby in your room, DH either deals with it or he sleeps on the couch until the baby is sleeping better.  You can use a PNP in SD's rooms for nights they are not there, it will fold up and be stored when they are not there...or rolled into your room.
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • Seriously, you are going to make your DSS feel unwelcome if you put him in the "play room" with a futon. This is his house too at least 50% of the time. How would you feel if you didn't have your space all the sudden and it was now everyones space? 2nd of all you have a 2 year old and a new baby coming. Make the living room work. How long do you actually need a bouncy seat and a swing and all the baby gear out for. Honestly a lot of that you only use for a few months and then it gets put back in storage. Deal with it being a little cluttered or tight with the extra baby gear for awhile.

Trust me at my house we are very short on space I have a 3 bed room townhome that was built on a concrete slab so no basement. There are 3 adults, 2 children full time, and 1 child part time oh and a dog at my house. We made it work. My nephew was 3 when DS was born and we Had the swing, pack in play, bouncy seat and all his toys in our little living room because we still felt he was too young to play in his room by himself. Yes it looked like the baby store barfed in my living room but we delt with it. And DS grew out of his swing by at least 4 months and his bouncy chair as well.

Proud Step Mom to Zachary 10-26-98
    Loving Wife to Billy 04-28-07
    Proud mom to Jeremy 08-15-08

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"