D.C. Area Babies

Re: excerpt from Babyproofing your Marriage

• Thanks for posting this!  Lots of great points.  DH and I are finally getting a date night this weekend after not having one since June.  I'm looking forward to it and what's funny is that he was hesitant at first and kept telling me how he is feeling guilty.  I think it will be great for us!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks for sharing! DH and I try to follow these steps, but it does get hard, so stressful at times.
  • Loading the player...
  • Am I the only one who gets tired of hearing that dads should give moms a "break" from doing things like dishes, changing diapers, etc?  Every family is different but in ours he doesn't give me a "break" he does things because they need to be done, not because I want a "break" from them.  I also am continually puzzled as to why more dads don't take more time off to be with their children.  I understand that many workplaces don't have "paternity" leave but in the federal government and other places they have FMLA.  DH took seven weeks off (using annual leave) to be with DS after I took two months.  I think it was great for our family for both of us to truly understand how hard taking care of the baby is and to really feel like we are raising DS together.  I don't mean to criticize families who don't/can't do this, but I would really encourage it.
  • imagemlvmd:
    Am I the only one who gets tired of hearing that dads should give moms a "break" from doing things like dishes, changing diapers, etc?  Every family is different but in ours he doesn't give me a "break" he does things because they need to be done, not because I want a "break" from them.  I also am continually puzzled as to why more dads don't take more time off to be with their children.  I understand that many workplaces don't have "paternity" leave but in the federal government and other places they have FMLA.  DH took seven weeks off (using annual leave) to be with DS after I took two months.  I think it was great for our family for both of us to truly understand how hard taking care of the baby is and to really feel like we are raising DS together.  I don't mean to criticize families who don't/can't do this, but I would really encourage it.

Sounds like you've got a pretty good husband:) Although I won't bash my DH too badly, he does take care of our DS when I am at work, but he does complain about it frequently. Mind you I only work 3 nights a week and DS goes to bed about 3 hours after I leave for work. From my perspective, a dad who wants to do a majority of baby care and housework is a rare thing...and it is a shame. I understand if work gets in the way of helping sometimes (my DH's job wouldn't allow this, too small for FMLA, I think he gets a week of vacation time a year) but it would be nice for the desire to be there at least.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"