Special Needs

Need Some Advice

I already have an appointment with our pedi but just wanted to see if anyone has any experience with this.

Ben has ACC and he has been doing great eating.  At his 15 month appointment he dropped percentiles so our pedi suggested more fattening foods and more calories so we have been doing that.  Since starting that (or maybe it is a coincidence) he is now throwing up during most meals/snacks.  He isn't choking and there aren't any big chunks in the vomit but he just throws up.  He doesn't cry and isn't upset when it happens.  We are supposed to be putting weight on him and it is impossible when he throws up all the time.  Meal time is a chore anyway bc his muscles are weak so it takes an hour for me to get a decent amount of food in him anyway.   Any thoughts on what this could be?

Why can't something be easy???  Crying

Re: Need Some Advice

• I have no experience.

Could it be allergies? What are you giving him? Have you added something new?

My only suggestion is that his tummy might be getting too full. If he has trunk weakness the sphincter at the top of his stomach may not be closing all the way and a burp turns into a barf.

Maybe you need to do more meals instead of more food? I know that is not what you wanted to hear.....

{{ACC Hugs}}

WAY 2 Cool 4 School

• Is he sick?  Does he have a cold?  I ask because DD has trouble keeping food down when she is sick (even as simple as a cold.  The mucus really irritates her stomach).  Has he ever been diagnosed with reflux?

Perhaps ask your pedi if he thinks a GI might be in order.  DD is also slow to gain weight and we now go to a GI.  We just got the results that her lab work came back normal for absorbtion and we are most likely going to do an upper GI sometime.  He has put her on Duocal additive as well as canola oil. 

Sorry you are having weight and feeding issues.  It stinks, I know!

• Loading the player...
  • My DD was FFT from 6-9 months, and from 12-15 months.  She weighted 18 pounds at 18 months. 

What are you doing to add calories?  My DD had a hard time with added oils, like olive oil and butter, they seemed to just go right through her (poop studies where fine).  We really only made progress when we added peanut butter to her diet and high calorie toddler formula. (24 calories instead of 20).  Later, around 2, we switched to carnation instant breakfast in her milk and she still gets that at almost 4 to keep her weight up.

If you have not seen a nutritionist, try one from a GI doctor.  They have a lot of experience with kids with reflux, autism, and other refusal to eat problems, unlike endocrin, which tends to focus on over weight.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"