Babies: 9 - 12 Months

8 month old old still does not get the pincer grasp

Is she the only one?

I guess she sort of "gets" it as she will sometimes pick the food up but then it gets on her palm and she does not realize it is there.  I need to get the sitter some cereals to practice with her on.  We practice at home at night, but I think if she tried a few times a day she might get it.

Re: 8 month old old still does not get the pincer grasp

• I wouldn't say that T really got it until a few weeks ago. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • D isn't getting the pincher grasp either. He grabs food with his fist and shoves it into his mouth.
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm sure she's fine.  With DD#1, to help her along I would put a small toy in her palm and she's automatically hold it and I'd adjust so thumb and forefringer were free. this helped a lot.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • 2 weeks ago B was crying with frustration trying to eat puffs... he had a 10% success rate.  I have offered them to him daily and he now gets it.  I think he just needed the practice of how to manipulate it into his mouth.  (oftentimes the pincer fails, but he has figured out how to use both hands to maneuver the puff off his palm or fist or wherever it is)

I think practice is key :)

EDD with #4  01-20-14
    Proud mama to a boys-  6/17/09 - a girl 2/23/11- and a boy 8/20/12

• I really thought that the pincer grasp was something that developed more in the 9-12 month range, and while they begin doing it at 8 months it really isn't expected yet.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Gavin just got it a few weeks ago. It's fine.
  • I think there are a lot of 8 month olds that don't "get" it yet. I have one that picked up on it after just about a week, but the other is still fisting it. Just give her some time!
  • imagejulygal:
    I really thought that the pincer grasp was something that developed more in the 9-12 month range, and while they begin doing it at 8 months it really isn't expected yet.

This was what I thought too. My DD still does the fist/palm thing most of the time.

• Jake got it in the past week.

Sam doesn't do it at all. He either grabs with his hands or makes us feed him with our hands.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"