Birth Stories

Still pregnant with question for those who've delivered already...

I just bought a book on hypnobirthing using the Mongan method.  Did any of you use this method?  If so, do you feel you had the kind of birth discussed in the book or was it useless?  What did your doctor have to say about using it?

I'm hoping it would help, but my DH kind of laughed at me for buying anything that claims I could have a relatively painless labor/delivery.

TIA for any responses!

Re: Still pregnant with question for those who've delivered already...

• You can have a painless labor.  It's called an epidural.  I had one and it was great!  Sorry I can't help with your question about hypnobirthing.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have no specific advice on hypnobirthing, but I personally found hypnotherapy/hypnosis to be useless (in my case, for phobia management).  The feedback I got was that the effectiveness can vary a lot with the personality of the person, if you are more of a 'control' person or not at all prone to suggestion hypnosis based approaches in general will be ineffective.

• Loading the player...
  • I haven't had any experience in hypnobirthing, but I do believe that the pain response comes from fear and anything that pulls you out of your own head in to the present. Your sole job is to be completely relaxed. I think that all styles of "birthing" are just different ways of doing the same thing. The only other gift I would give you, if I could, is a doula. They are a thousand times better than drugs and interventions as they provide immense info and comfort, but come with no side effects.

Trust in yourself and your bodies' ability to birth.

(BTW, I am pregnant with number 6)

• I didn't use Hypnobirthing, but I used Hypnobabies with my son. From what I understand, they're the same basic idea as far as using self-hypnosis for pain management during labor. I did hear better things about Hypnobabies --  it provides more hypnosis techniques (finger drop technique, cue words), and has a lot more self-hypnosis scripts for you to listen to.

I do consider my baby's birth to be pain-free. That's not to say that it was pain-free in the same way that sitting on the couch watching TV is pain-free Smile It was an intense experience! But it was short and easy, certainly not the climbing-the-walls type pain that a lot of people seem to associate with labor. I definitely used the Hypnobabies scripts and techniques throughout, and felt that they helped keep me relaxed, calm, and comfortable.

I definitely agree with the pp who said that all styles of "birthing" are different ways of doing the same thing. I did Bradley Method with my daughter, and felt that Hypnobabies shared a lot of similarities with it -- basically, they are both about learning how to get your mind out of the way so your body can do its thing. I felt that Hypnobabies did give me some more concrete tools for doing that, though, which I really liked. If we have a third, I'll probably use more Hypnobabies than Bradley...

Mommy to DD1 (June 2007), DS (January 2010), DD2 (July 2012), and The Next One (EDD 3/31/2015)

• I used Bradley, but one of my best friends used hypnobabies and said that she thought it helped het her mind in the right place, but she didn't actually listen to the cds while she was in labor. I also want to add that while labor hurt, it was a different kind of pain fun I expected. I never had excruciating pain and even asked my doula if she was sure I was in labor when I was in transition. I think listening to your body and being able to move freely makes a world of difference.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • imagejkfranklin:
    You can have a painless labor.  It's called an epidural.  I had one and it was great!  Sorry I can't help with your question about hypnobirthing.

Hee hee!  That was my first thought!

In seriousness, an epidural gives you the best chance of a painfree birth, but that doesn't mean you are silly for considering hypno-birthing.  Or that it won't help! 

TTC #1 for one year with annovulation....
    Clomid Cycle #1: 50mg = BFP
    =Beautiful baby girl born May 23, 2009
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    TTC#2: BFP Cycle #1, no fertility meds!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I give props to anyone who can go natural...labor pains are nothing like I've ever experinced.  I was begging for a C-section just to get the baby out sooner, glad I was talked out of it now but at the time I was going completely insane.  I honestly wanted to kiss the anesthesiologist, he was my hero.  No amount of deep breathing and relaxation could have made me felt better, an epi. was a life-saver.
  • I delivered DS pain med free, and it reallywasn't bad till the last cm. I didn't use any type of hypnosis tho, just my natural pain mgmt techniques. I have a chronic pain condition so had a little experience in the matter :). My doula said it looked like I was using hypnosis tho.

I do know someone who used hypnobabies and she said it was the most awesome pain free experience of her life.

• One of my best friends used a hypnobirthing technique (not sure which specific "method" though) for her baby, born last May.  Although, he was breech and eventually had to be born via c-section; she said that while she was laboring naturally, it was extremely helpful!  She said it kept her very strong mentally and focused on what she (and all women) are meant to do naturally - give birth.

True, epidurals can help to give you a pain-free birth; but they don't always work either.  I think you're very brave to consider a natural birth (no matter what technique helps you achieve it); I hope to one day do the same!  Good luck!!!

• I did use that book in addition to Bradley Method.  It was more of a supplement because our Bradley instructor was also a Hypnobirthing instructor.  My OB didn't really know about the Hypnobirthing part but she did know that we were doing the Bradley method and was nothing but supportive. 

She ended up hiring a midwife into her practice when I was 35 weeks along and I was lucky enough to have her attend my birth and she was fantastic.  We succeeded and I definitely think that reading some parts of that Hypnobirthing book and listening to the relaxation CD every night helped.  It wasn't a painless delivery but it was oh so rewarding and worth every minute of discomfort.  I will do it again and again.

Good luck!

My best friend, my husband, my everything
    Matthew Kevin
    7/31/83-7/20/11 image
    Met 1/8/00
    Engaged 4/21/06
    Married 9/29/07
    Two beautiful legacies: Noah Matthew (2 yrs) and Chloe Marcella (8 mos)
    Day Three
  • With my first DS, I did have an epidural. BUT it didn't fully work. I still felt everything. I think this go around, now that I know what to expect, pain wise, I'm going natural.  I'm researching hypnobirthing and just natural child birth in general. Plus I'm on Lovenox (blood thinner injections) which doesn't agree with the epidural. I'm just leaning towards natural to avoid further complications. Seems to make more sense.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"